computer seems extremely slow

User-C36C17DD-CB36-4359-8C1755C210746FBE 11:30 24 Aug 2009

i have two computers. my old computer which is running windows xp pro and the old pentium 4 processor and just 512mb ram when connected to the internet via broadband is a lot quicker that my brand new acer running windows vista with 4gb of ram and a centrino duo processor. it is very frustrationg and confusing.

it says i have 104 processess running. yet my xp pro pc only has 45 processes running.... what do i need to do to cut the amount of processes running?

birdface 21:09 24 Aug 2009

Not any help to you I use XP so not sure what runs in Vista.It is a bad way to start with a new computer getting rid of programs installed that you will never use.
You really need someone that uses Vista to help you out.
Like you I have no more than 45 processes running in task manager.
If a new computer all you need to do is go into msconfig and see all of the start up programs, You could probably remove 70% of them.But what ones I know not.I would still do a defrag as you probably had to download all of the Microsoft updates.

anyone out there who can help me?

provider 2 16:18 25 Aug 2009

There`s a prog called PC Decrapifier that was developed for ridding new machines of unwanted trial versions and other junk.

Here`s the site (YorkSpace) where you can read about it and see some users` comments, and follow the links if you want to download and use it:

click here

(Free, but commercial users submit at donation).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?