Computer Security

MMN DESIGN 01:10 19 Aug 2005

Upon system boot-up I have the following programs within my taskbar:

Ad-Watch;
Trojan Hunter Guard;
Spyware Guard;
Norton Internet Security 2005; and
Spybot S&D Resident Tea-Timer.

Does anybody have any reccommendations with regards to the integrity and stability of all the programs running?? Conflicts, Crashes, etc.

So far I have noticed that when I ran system mechanic, and checked the start-up folder I made a change to a program start-up, obviously creating a registry change which immediately evoked a response from spybot and ad-watch.

Will these two programs contradict each other, or conflict??

Thank-you all so very much for your previous responses regarding Spyware.

Respectfully....Mark

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:48 19 Aug 2005

IMHO you have far too many 'protection' programmes running but the ones that you have should not cause any conflict. I would only use AVG (or any free AV), MS Antispy and errrrmmm.... that's all. I would suggest a firewall such as Sygate (also free) although I have not used one for 3 years. A bit of common sense will help as no amount of protection will stop a file that the computer owner has executed, albeit innocently.

I cannot see any advantage in home users paying for any of the so-called protection programmes and there is an awful lot of hype and nonsense talked about computer security.

G

Diodorus Siculus 07:55 19 Aug 2005

I think that you are more than adequately covered... that, and a little caution when on the net, and you will be ok.

MMN DESIGN 22:36 19 Aug 2005

Thank-you both very much. Have a wonderful weekend.

MMN DESIGN 23:09 19 Aug 2005

is adwatch from lavasoft the same as the spybot sd-resident??
Can somebody please explain the difference between the two? I have had lavasoft for about 2 years and was recently advised of also installing spybot sd resident tea-timer. I just did this yesterday. Everything seems to be great.

Thank-you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?