Computer restarts up

Dr. Charles(retired now) 15:34 27 Sep 2003

I am running windows 98SE and an AMD 2.6 Gigs Processor - -512 MB Ram

When I try and close down my computer (and this happens with restart also) my computer trys to shut down -- the screen dims and then brightens up again and come back as it was, running and happy.

I have to "shutdown" twice before it will really shut down.

I seem to have done all the "Fixes" on the MS site, I have checked the Fastshutdown in my register is 0 .

Does any one have any more ideas please?

Best wishes,

Charles

gold 47 15:43 27 Sep 2003

Sorry i don't think this will much help but your ram is to high for W98 256MB is better running 512mb ram with W98 causes it to hang or lock up as a rule at least that is what happens to me.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 15:51 27 Sep 2003

This has just started in the last 6 weeks.

Charles :)

Seano 16:01 27 Sep 2003

Aslong as you have sufficiant RAM that wouldn't be the problem . What you need to do is first check your hardware for conflicts , this can be done in device manager through your contol panel . If there is a conflict try uninstalling the hardware and re-installing . You also nees to unpdate the drivers for your hard aware and . Go to the manufacturers websites amd undate to the latest drivers for the hardware you have installed on your computer . And fanally you probably need to update you bios too . Again goto the website of the manufacturer of you motherboard and chipset and download the updated bios . These won't auto install , you need to install to the flash memory on the motherboard . Refer to your motherboard handbook for instructions ..... I hope this is of help .

Dr. Charles(retired now) 16:12 27 Sep 2003

Its bios - - - -problem solved

Charles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?