Computer restarting itself

coxyclan1 15:40 25 Feb 2007

Hi there folks.
Ive been having a problem with my computer for a while now,it restarts itself,generally while i'm in the middle of a game but sometimes when its just on the desktop.
Ive tried formatting the hard drive and re installing everything but im still getting the same problem,not that the re install program Advent use is great.Its a program called Pc Angel i think and it only gives the option to do a quick format.
Any help would be appreciated.

My system is:
Advent T9203
Ms 7046 Motherboard
3.6 Ghz P4 560
1 gig of PC3200 DDR RAM
250 gigabyte hard drive
256MB ATIe X600 Pro Graphics Card
Lite-on DVD-RW
Lite-on DVD-ROM
Windows XP Media Centre 2005
Virgin Media PC Guard (antivirus,firewall)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 25 Feb 2007

1st you need to find out why it is rebooting,

Software or Hardware problem

Auto-reboot disable:
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

coxyclan1 15:53 25 Feb 2007

Thanks for the fast response.
The computer isnt blue screening though.Before when a problem would occur it would do exactly what you put,blue screen,put up an error message then restart.But its just restarting without anything and windows doesnt come up with an error report after restarting either.

LABMAN 19:37 25 Feb 2007

it could possibly be a poor connection somewhere or more worrying a failing power supply but I'd check all your connections are sound and tight first before anything.

Sandyba 20:47 25 Feb 2007

I had the same problem a while ago on my desktop. After checking connections I opened the box and found lots of dust and fluff on the motherboard sucked into the case by the cooling fan. I used a soft photographers lens brush and and a vacuum cleaner and carefully got rid of the dust and fluff. The problem disappeared.

coxyclan1 20:40 26 Feb 2007

Thanks for the info everyone.I took your advice Sandyba and cleared out all the dust,i even removed the fan from the CPU and cleaned that and it looks like its done the trick.
Thanks again guys for all the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?