Computer Randomly Freeze's on Games?

iBacon 22:18 09 Dec 2011

I recently got my Grandad's which works fine and has great parts but it does not play games hence he passed it on to me. It can do everything apart from play games. It will sometimes play games for hours and hours and other times it will just freeze up on the main menu of the game. I have tried disc games and downloaded games, both do the same, i have tried turning up the fan speeds on the GPU's and still it freeze's. I have tested the RAM with Windiag and it comes up fine, stress tested the processor and tested the HDD's thy all came up fine. The only thing that might be wrong is the PSU which might be providing not enough power or it is faulty in some way or the sound card which is no longer supported by creative but then again it does easily play movies and music fine. Can anyone help? Here are the specs: http://speedcap.net/img/36cc6ea5a6629bdd6f98b6303a3650db/884bb6a5.png

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:39 09 Dec 2011

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest http://www.memtest86.com/

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

mrwoowoo 22:55 09 Dec 2011

I note that your RAM is running in single channel mode, when in fact it should be dual channel. Are the memory sticks inserted in the right slots? They should be placed in the two yellow slots I.E one next to the CPU and the other in the 3rd slot from the CPU.

iBacon 23:19 09 Dec 2011

Ahh Thanks mrwoowoo i will have to check that in the morning, could that be the problem you think?

mrwoowoo 21:53 10 Dec 2011

If you have 2 sticks of RAM they should run in dual channel mode. Not certain if that's your problem, but i put my sons in the wrong slots and had the same sort of symptoms. You never know. Fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone