computer problems ssssss

sa13 11:41 28 Jul 2006

Hi,Where to start, Grandaughters computer, Runs very slow,Wont let me download program's on to it, Especially anti-virus,Has a corrupt file that I know of,When you go into command promt, it comes up as c;\documents and settings\?*??a?ee?>. it should come up as _ _ stacee_ _> Bottom lines I have there should be small zero's,but i dont know how to put them in,Also Has only 224 mb ram and should have 256 mb ram, Apart from a re-format, anybody got any ideas, I am not very bright on computers ,so anything not to complicated,Had a little help before, but could not find the folder to delete it, Any help welcome

johnnyrocker 11:44 28 Jul 2006

what os is it? are you saying there is no av protection? best bet try safe mode.

johnny.

VoG II 11:49 28 Jul 2006

'missing' 32 MB RAM used for on-board graphics?

Unlocker click here

On line scans

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
click here
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
click here
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

Housecall at TrendMicro
click here
Make sure you tick Auto Clean.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

sa13 11:58 28 Jul 2006

I opened a user account in my name, And can download most tings on that, but when I go into grandaughters side it will not start them, Saying that I downloaded avast on my side yesterday,And so far it is working on grandaughters side,It wont run spyware blaster Ntl anti virus broadband medic, ect, Come's up with different reasons , OS ,dont really know what you are looking for. is it Windows xp home edition,thats whats on here

sa13 12:16 28 Jul 2006

Tried a lot of on line scans, Most of them would not work,just tried running Panda active scan ,and would you believe it . avast stopped it,said there was a virus in it, what nextShut down Avast and carry on??

Koochy 12:23 28 Jul 2006

thanks guys

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 28 Jul 2006

Avast does not need to be run in different profiles (accounts) run in your account with all drives selected will suffice to clear all viruses.

Rest of it sounds like malware problems or corrupt files. Windows Defender click here
Ewido click here

update and run both from your account.

start -run type sfc /scannow press OK to scan for and replace missing / corrupt files.

report back any further problems and we will offer more help.

sa13 13:10 28 Jul 2006

Hi Fruit Bat,Thanks for the help,Ok just gotm panda active scan to run, when finished with that I will concentrate on yor articles, But computer running slow, and will get back to you as soon as possible, many thanks for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:19 28 Jul 2006

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 28 Jul 2006

2. Hardware

a) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

b) Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

d) Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

sa13 14:31 28 Jul 2006

Hi, Fruit Bat,Finally got Panda Active scan finished,Came up with 1 Dialer + 4 adware problems,The usual when I try to save them, Got closed down ,Did manage to write them down first, Will forward them to you if they dont appear on the next two scans,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?