Computer Power Supply Backup Help Needed.

Big L 266 17:50 05 Jan 2011

Hello.

I was thankful when my computer was in sleep mode when there was a two hour power cut today. When power was restored,it took a long time for my computer to start up but thankfully she burst into life and all was eventually well.

This bothered me a lot as we're not known for our power cuts. It also made me think about a computer power supply backup should it happen again. Its not a 'knee jerk' reaction but I dread to think of what could've happened had the power gone off in the middle of being 'live'.

I've been looking at power supply backups and there's a bewildering array of products. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on one,so would like your recommendations as to what make and model to look for within the Amazon UK website suitable for my computer and screen please.

My computer is a Dell Studio desktop with a Dell monitor.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind help and suggestions.I really do appreciate your help.

Big L 266

VoG II 18:04 05 Jan 2011

You are looking for an Uninterruptable Power Supplyclick here

I have a Belkin - well worth it.

Big L 266 19:34 05 Jan 2011

Hello.

VoG....Thank you for your link and have been looking at the ones you suggest. I wonder if this item on the link below will do the trick please?

click here

Your invaluable input will be very welcomed.

Thank you.

Big L 266

GaT7 19:45 05 Jan 2011

By the way, it's £8 cheaper delivered click here if purchased directly from the company that's selling the same at Amazon. G

VoG II 19:54 05 Jan 2011

If you can afford it, go for a 1200 VA.

Big L 266 19:57 05 Jan 2011

Hello.

Crossbow7....Thank you very much for that link.I've never had to buy one of these before.Will it simply just run my computer and screen long enough to close it down please? I never leave my computer unattended and always put it in sleep mode when I do.

Thank you for your additional help.

Big L 266

bigpeta 11:26 06 Jan 2011

point to check out is that some of these ups have an irritating bleep every few seconds if the power fails. (like you wouldnt notice your power was off!!!) some of them can be disabled but my mustek cannot.

Woolwell 12:00 06 Jan 2011

I think that beep is useful. It could be that the power to just the socket for your pc has tripped and the sound alerts you to shut down your system.

My Belkin UPS allows my PC to run for between 5 and 10 mins on its battery giving me ample time to do a controlled shut down. I installed it after a series of powercuts. Sods Law means that I haven't had any since having the UPS.

Big L 266 14:02 06 Jan 2011

Hello.

bigpeta....I don't mind the idea of something beeping if it lets me know whats happening.Its the lesser of two evils so long as my hard drive is saved and doesn't lose 42000 music tracks. (Yes,I have three backups.)Thank you though for your help.

Woolwell....I think our local powercut for two hours was a result of local 'fuse' blowing - it must've been some fuse - and taking out half of Spalding. Its scared me into getting one cos when I booted up after the power came back on,and Bessie has been in sleep mode at the time of the powercut,it took a very long time for her to get up and running again.

Would you do me a small kindness and check my link at 19.34hours yesterday and tell me if this is a good model - or a similarly larger version of this model - to purchase please. It only has to run an ancient printer, my Dell Studio desktop and 21" Dell screen. Thank you for your input.

Probably won't get another power cut now!

Big L 266

amonra 14:12 06 Jan 2011

Buy the one with the biggest battery. In this case, biggest is definitely best! Also very important, do a check every friday (after backing up your data) by switching off the mains supply for about 10-15 mins to make sure the system is working OK and the battery is not dying a death. Too many people just accept the fact that they have a back-up supply and forget that even those systems can fail. As you said, the electric supply wont fail again for agesssssssssssss.

Woolwell 14:27 06 Jan 2011

Don't know that make. APC are one of the better brands for UPS.

On the advice of this forum I didn't install the software that came with my Belkin but instead connectd by USB and let Windows power management take care of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?