Computer Power Failure

TheNutCracker 18:35 19 Mar 2006

I have a dell dimension 2400.
I upgraded its PSU to a Enermax Noisetaker 370W and the graphics card to a Nvidia 5200 128MB Ram and also a 512MB stick of ram extra (so 1GB total). It all worked fine for about 6 months after I upgraded but then randomly about 4 months ago my computer just randomly shuts down evernow and then.

So basically I am quite hapilly typing an email and then suddenly the computer just cuts out with no warning. The power light on the frount just flashes and all of the diagnostic lights off the back are on. I then have to hold down the power button for a few seconds and then it stops flashing. Then I have to wait for a few minutes because if I power on too fast again it just does the same again on start up.

I have checked that all of the wires are properly connected and that the colling fan is spinning but still the same thing happends.

Sometimes when I reconnect all of the power cables i.e. cpu and motherboard , the computer works quite hapilly for about a week and then the same happends again.
A few times it has happened when I accidently stamped on the floor (I have a wooden floor so then the computer shakes).

So what else might be wrong? Might the PSU be faulty? Might the cables be loose? Might be motherboard be busted?

woodchip 18:56 19 Mar 2006

Yes I would Say PSU Fault, Buy a better one. Not just size

woodchip 19:00 19 Mar 2006

I put one of these in My Win98se some years ago, it is a 550 though. been No Problems at all and Quiet
click here

woodchip 19:01 19 Mar 2006

These are the spec click here

TheNutCracker 19:27 19 Mar 2006

I was tempted by this one:
click here
The reviews seem good.

I would just like to know if anyone else thinks that I should get a new PSU? Just incase there is a easy problem to fix.

WhiteTruckMan 19:27 19 Mar 2006

give the power lead a good wiggle. also any extension lead if used. I use an extension with a 4 strip socket and had one go bad once, but took me quite a while before the penny dropped.

WTM

TheNutCracker 19:28 19 Mar 2006

Thanks WHM, I will give it a go.
Anyone else?

De Marcus™ 19:40 19 Mar 2006

Reconnecting, stamping on floor (vibrations)plus the symptoms your receiving would indicate a definite loose connection centred around the psu, whether you can locate it or not is another matter entirely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?