Computer or Monitor broken

cherria 07:03 02 Dec 2008

Hi

Need a little advice, I'm trying to diagnose a problem for a PC from the other side of the world.(I mean I'm on the other side of the world from the PC)

My wife says the monitor started not coming on at power up intermittently, now it won't come on at all.

The monitor and cable are ok, tried that with another PC.

Is there a way I can tell from the POST beeps or any other method whether I just have a dead graphics card or a dead PC?

I'm trying to avoid buying a new graphics card if not necessary, but without the monitor, I can't see if th ePC works.

Thanks for the help

ambra4 08:40 02 Dec 2008

Check the memory chips if more than one try then one at a time

If only one memory chip change the socket or try a spare memory chip if you have any

Size do not mater 64, 128, etc as you only checking if the memory chip is bad and the monitor

will display

Switcher 11:20 02 Dec 2008

If you have on board video available plug graphics signal cable into that. On some boards the insertion of the Graphics card automatically disables on board video so you MAY have to remove graphics card.

When you say that you have tested the cable do you mean the signal cable or the power cable you will have to check both if the monitor power cable is the type which plugs into the back of the monitor.

xania 13:30 02 Dec 2008

Also check that the video card has not come loose. In fact take it out and put it back in firmly.

FreeCell 17:18 02 Dec 2008

When wife says that monitor "not coming on at all" does she just mean nothing displayed or is there a "No Signal Displayed" message, or a blinking cursor? Does power light on monitor come on?

Presume it must if you say the monitor works with another PC (Same video cable?). Check pins not bent or damaged in connector on PC.

Healthy PC beeps once or twice when turned on and passes POST tests. A repeated string of beeps (number varies with BIOS) between three and nine indicates video card failure.

If there are more than two beeps then advice above on reseating video card and RAM should be followed.

cherria 04:40 03 Dec 2008

Thanks for the replies all, here's an update (this over the phone support thing is difficult !!!)
Freecell - No signal detected message is displayed
Power is fine as video card and motherboard fans spin up
No POST beeps at all - does this indicate a dead motherboard?

thanks

xania 10:36 03 Dec 2008

No beeps normally means either no power to Mobo or Mobo dead. Make sure that all the power connections to the Mobo are firmly in place - sometimes there's a bid connector AND and small connector and both need to be connected. Fans spinning could mean that they have a separate power connector so that does not rule out no power to the Mobo. However, if either do not have a visible separate power connector then Mobo is getting power. If the Mobo is getting power and still no beeps then it sounds as if the mobo may have died.

CLONNEN 13:26 03 Dec 2008

Has the PSU (Power Supply Unit) died? They don't last forever especially the lower wattage models.

You may have to call out a pc technician to find out though.

Is the power light on the computer coming on?

FreeCell 16:57 03 Dec 2008

As fans are spinning indicates indicates that some power is reaching PC so more likley a short or motherboard damage.

You haven't given us a clue as to the make/model so we cannot be specific re POST beeps as we don't know the BIOS.

See if this throws any light on the problem click here

woodchip 17:15 03 Dec 2008

As above its most likely the PSU Power Supply thats gone. Only trouble is it can destroy the CPU and Motherboard. But first thing to try is a New PSU

FreeCell 18:11 03 Dec 2008

As fans are spinning PSU hasn't died completely but may be giving unstable voltages, which can cause several types of problems, not easy to diagnose. Any new components fitted recently that may be drawing more power from the unit?

Your first post says the problem first was intermittent. A PC that comes on at second or third boot can be caused by power_ok signal coming on before PSU power stabilises, or the motherboard doesn't receive the power_ok signal quick enough causing it to switch off to protect itself. As others suggest this may be the PSU has been degrading and now reached a level of just not providing the correct voltages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017