computer now takes 3 minutes to start up -help!!!

broomey3 19:27 19 Dec 2004

I have been playing with my computer, a Medion 8083 from Aldi, running XP. Last week, I used the Windows Backup to backup the registry, and stored the backup on my desktop. Today, whilst looking at firmware upgrades on the Pioneer web site, I accidentally double clicked on the backup icon. The computer appeared to stop responding and eventually restarted. I don't think I managed to change the DVD firmware, but who knows. I have been having a bad day!
I think I managed to change my registry to that which was contained within the backup. I'm not sure.
Now, when I start my computer, I get the Intel Pentium 4 splash screen on my computer for 140 seconds or so, during which the computer is unresponsive. Then, it appears to start normally.
Everything seems to work properly. Does anyone know what I have done?, and can I go back to making it start up more quickly? The Intel splash screen only used to stay there for a few seconds previously.
Regards Kev

ACOLYTE 19:31 19 Dec 2004

Try a system restore to before the accident,should replace the registry as it was.

broomey3 19:39 19 Dec 2004

Thanks. I managed to use system restore to bring it back to where it was this morning before this happened. Everything else seems to be okay with the exception of the long wait before the computer starts up. I can't even seem to get into the Bios to see what is going on there. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?