Computer not starting - No beeps

Tom1986 10:58 31 Mar 2014

Hi,

After using and shutting down my 2008 HP Pavillion computer perfectly normally it now will not start correctly and no input signal is being received by the monitor. There are no beeps from the bios to give any clues to the problem. The lights all come on when the power button is pressed, all the fans spin, disc drives will open and close (they also make a sound like they are trying to read a disc when the computer is switched on), USB ports work as it started charging my mp3 player the first time.

So far I've tried cleaning and re-seating everything which made no difference, I've tried running the computer on the bare minimum hardware and resetting the bios by replacing the battery and that's not helped. I tried starting it with the RAM removed and that caused the bios to beep so I don't think there is a problem with the motherboard (cpu heatsink also gets hot so cpu seems to be doing something).

The two things I think could be the problem are the power supply not giving the correct voltage or the graphics card dying (though the fan on it spins).

I've got a power supply tester on the way, does anyone else have any ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks.

Jollyjohn 11:37 31 Mar 2014

You are on the right lines with the graphics card, do you have onboard graphics on the motherboard to try? Try a different graphics card if you have one.

Just.me 12:57 31 Mar 2014

You haven't by any chance left a non system cd/disc in one of the drives?

I ask because you said it sounded like the drives were trying to read.

You could also make sure that the hard drive is the first to load in case one of your disc drives is faulty and trying to read a non-existant disc.

Tom1986 14:28 31 Mar 2014

I don't think there is an integral graphics card on the motherboard, but I'll check this evening.

The computer is a desktop, I don't have a spare monitor to test on the computer, but the one I do have works when connected to a laptop.

There is no disc in the drive when it makes the noise, but I have also tried it with the windows boot disk in the drive and it's not made a difference.

bumpkin 16:43 31 Mar 2014

For the purposes of elimination I would try it with the CD drive/drives disconnected.

SparkyJack 18:47 31 Mar 2014

An onboard graphics is standard desktops to it's the blue 19 pin in the general panel with the ps2/USB/audio set it is also likely to have HDMI large multipn socket on both come mputer. And monitor so they of recent man.

SparkyJack 18:50 31 Mar 2014

An onboard graphics is standard desktops to it's the blue 19 pin in the general panel with the ps2/USB/audio set it is also likely to have HDMI large multipn socket on both come mputer. And monitor so they of recent manufacture

Tom1986 20:31 31 Mar 2014

Ok, back home and plugged the monitor into the motherboard (didn't realise I could at first, it was hidden under a removable panel) and it's alive, only at a crappy resolution.

So this would definitely, definitely mean the graphics card is buggered?

These are all the specs for my computer: click here graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT - can someone recommend a suitable replacement please? I assume they don't make that model anymore!

Also, probably a stupid question, but how do I know if I have a 64 bit system? Does having a AMD Phenom 64 mean it's 64 bit?

Thanks.

The

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017