computer noise

hvs 15:36 15 Jan 2003
  hvs 15:36 15 Jan 2003

My computer all of a sudden starts making a very irritating loud noise. Could it be the fan which is working overtime? I read the article about the different processors and over heating. I have an AMD K6. I did have an extra 40GB Maxtor hard drive installed. The noise starts with a kind of revving up to a pitch which lasts for a while and then eventually seems to die down! I am worried that if I leave this it could cause a major problem.Your help would be much appreciated.

mark3110 15:44 15 Jan 2003

Sounds like it could be your system or power supply fan click here hope it helps.

Regards

Mark

DieSse 15:45 15 Jan 2003

Might it be there is CD in the CD-drive?

If it's a fan - the only thing to do is find out which one - by looking and listening with the case cover off.

mark3110 15:46 15 Jan 2003

Oh by the way, If it is anything to do with the power supply, dont open it or you could be in for a shock.

MArk

siarad 15:54 15 Jan 2003

Put a plastics pen in the back PSU fan to stop it running to see if that's making the noise. If yes it's cheaper to buy a new PSU than fan. If not likewise hold the CPU fan, Video etc.

hvs 18:23 15 Jan 2003

thanks for the advice I have printed this out and will try this out tomorrow as I am a bit tied up right now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017