Computer noise

Shrubsole 11:45 12 Jan 2003
  Shrubsole 11:45 12 Jan 2003

Is it true that AMD Athlon processors run hotter than Intel Pentium ones and therefore require larger and noisier fans? I am buying a new computer and noise is important to us neurotics!
Shrubsole

SDJ 12:04 12 Jan 2003

Yeah AMD processors do run hotter, see below for a good source of cpu coolers, most of them have noise ratings which you can compare.

click here

Its mainly the case fans which seem to create the most noise so check those out at the above too.

Gongoozler 12:11 12 Jan 2003

Shrubsole, it is also true that AMD processors are less tolerant of overheating. Intel processors self protect in case of overheating, whereas Athlons often just burn out, sometimes quite dramatically.

CPU Magnet 12:28 12 Jan 2003

My AMD Athlon has been running at about 55 degrees for about a year and a half now, and it has never burnt out. As long as you have a good quality cpu fan and case fan you should not run into any problems.
Try click here

Gongoozler 10:03 13 Jan 2003

As CPU Magnet says, Athlons are quite reliable, and with correct installation an Athlon or a Pentium will last for many years. For a given speed an Athlon will dissipate more heat than a Pentium, but with correct fitting and a suitable heatsink this will not be a problem. My point above was that if the heatsink is not fitted correctly, or if the fan fails, the Athlon will be less tolerant of the resultant overheating, which is why many Athlon motherboards have the overheat protection built in. A good cooling fan should not be unduly noisy, and many now have variable speed so that they will only run at full speed under adverse ambient temperature conditions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone