Computer noise

HauxtonPhil 09:41 26 Jul 2004

One thing which PCAdvisor does not appear to mention when it reviews machines is the noise that it makes. I buy lots of machines for other people and am amazed at the difference in noise levels from almost silent Dells to the noisiest machine that I have ever come across, which is one of those sexy Cubex machines from Mesh. Mesh claim that it is bound to be noisy because it is so much power in a confined space. Has any one out there experience of putting quiet fans into small machines - or indeed any help to cut down on background noise?

Pesala 09:54 26 Jul 2004

I would certainly like to see more details about sound levels in PCA Reviews. I would gladly pay £50 more for a PC that is almost silent, and would hate to be lumbered with a PC that was too noisy. My current Evesham Quest PC is fine, but I would prefer something even quieter next time. Most of the noise comes from the CPU fan.

jonnytub 09:55 26 Jul 2004

i often find that the most noisy parts of a pc are quite obiously the psu and heatsink fan, i used to have a thermaltake volcano 7+, sounded like an aeroplane taking off and it had to go as the pc's in the sitting room, barely hear the tv for it, i got a zalman flower cooler which i dont think would be appropriate for small machines due to it's shape and size click here, once that got put in i still weren't happy as the psu was still making a racket so i got an ultraquiet one and it's barely noticeable, you have to listen very quietly, at night, without the tv on to hear it. The link i gave above will give you an idea of some smaller fans and coolers that should go in the likes of that mesh machine.

jonnytub 09:57 26 Jul 2004

can be very fiddly putting anything into a small form factor case. But it can be done with patience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone