Computer name registered name

ellie82 17:04 03 Jul 2006

If you right click on my computer and click properties you get a general tab on this general table is a registered to name. any ideas how you change it? there is a typing error and I want to change it as it is the name on folders on my C drive which dont allow me to change them!

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 17:10 03 Jul 2006

Tech-Recipes.com - XP: Change the Registered Owner and Organization Names
click here

These data fields can be easily changed in XP without reinstallation.

After purchasing a computer with XP already installed, many people want to change the registered owner and organization names on their system. This can be easily done without a lot of trouble.

This does require playing with the registry. If you are not comfortable and experienced with this, back up your system first.

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type regedit in the textbox and click OK.
4. Regedit should load. Browse to this registry key:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

5. In the right panel, double click RegisteredOwner
6. In the value data field, change the name to whatever you wish
7. Click OK
8. In the right panel, double click RegisteredOrganization
9. In the value data field, change the name to whatever you wish. You may also delete this text and just leave this field blank.
10. Exit regedit and log off or reboot

VoG II 17:28 03 Jul 2006

click here - this is easier for a beginner!

SG Atlantis® 18:19 03 Jul 2006

"it is the name on folders on my C drive"

To correct this part, goto start, control panel and user accounts. Choose change account and select the one you want to edit the name on.

Use VoG's link to fix the registered name data aswell.

Fellsider 20:03 03 Jul 2006

^^^^

ellie82 13:07 04 Jul 2006

Thanks guys! I will give it a try

ellie82 14:48 09 Aug 2006

Hi guys, thanks for your initial response.

This has changed my computer user name. Which I could do.

I shouls have been more specific, it is a folder within the computer that isnt changing with the user name. this is happening on 3 computers now. where IT have set the name but spelt the persons name wrong.

c:/documentsandsettings/ (then the name is spelt wrong)

this is the folder name that I cannot change, it says read only, i change it to from read only and still cant change it.

it says it is a windows system folder and it cant be moved or renamed.

ade.h 15:08 09 Aug 2006

Log in as an Admin user. Go to User Accounts via Control Panel. Select an account to change and change the name.

ellie82 15:41 09 Aug 2006

sorry, that doesnt change it.

recap 16:01 09 Aug 2006

"I should have been more specific, it is a folder within the computer that isnt changing with the user name. this is happening on 3 computers now. where IT have set the name but spelt the persons name wrong."

It sounds like you are on a network that is using Active Directory. If this is the case get in touch with your systems administrator, who can correct the spelling for you.

ade.h 16:23 09 Aug 2006

The advice that I have given is correct for XP Home and Pro in a sole-user or home-network environment. If you are using a server-based network or another OS, you need to state that clearly to get the best advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone