Computer on a loop.

Simon.R 03:01 20 Mar 2006

Can anyone help. I have a 4 year old Mesh computer that has not previously let me down.
However when I start it up it goes into a continual loop of going through the log on process, the start up options of safe mode etc, to the windows xp page, a blue screen briefly and back to the start up page again. Any ideas
whats gone wrong. I cant seem to break the process.

Taff™ 06:48 20 Mar 2006

This could be one of several things but click here which will give you acces to several guides. Obviously you can ignore those that you need to do from within Windows!

Do you have an XP disc or a recovery disc available. (Don`t use the latter just yet - you may lose all your data)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:51 20 Mar 2006

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

vinnyT 13:13 20 Mar 2006

When you get xp back turn off automatic restart;
Right click on My computer, select properties, advanced tab, 'startup and recovery' the option you want is the last on that page at the bottom, untick.

This should prevent this from happening again as it can't automatically go into a loop of restarts.

Hope this helps.

medicine hat 13:44 20 Mar 2006

You may be able to break the cycle by pressing F8 prior to Windows booting up, go into Safe Mode and make the change suggested by vinnyT. You will hopefully then be able to see what the BSOD says is the problem and take appropriate action.

Simon.R 22:17 20 Mar 2006

Many thanks for your help

Oh I wish I had waited to read all of your valuable advise. Having rebooted this afternoon prior to reading the above I discovered I have lost everything. I wont do that again. Luckily the most valuable photos etc were saved to disc.
Only a week or two to upload everything back to normal.
A good warning for the untrained.

PS now the keyboard wont let me use the @ key so I cant get my email up and running again. Any ideas.

Your depressed.

VoG II 22:26 20 Mar 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017