Computer Log In Loop

ThickMick 09:42 25 Jul 2007

On strt up my Acer F5 with XP Pro presents the owner log in which when clicked automatically gowes to logging out and closing computer option.

Have tried a suggestion from another posting about using Recovery but have no XP Pro CD. Used an XP Home upgrade one from my other computer and when running Recovery says it is unable to find a hard drive.

Any ideas as initial back up disc failed when had it as new and Acer said it sometimes happened but usually no need to have one. Hmmm

birdface 09:57 25 Jul 2007

Have you tried in safe mode,Just keep tapping F8 as computer starts,If it works try last good configuration, Or System Restore to a time before the problem started.

ThickMick 10:07 25 Jul 2007

Yes tried safe mode but same thing happens.

Would I be able to use HD off another computer to boot from that or not?

Eric10 10:37 25 Jul 2007

If you are the only user, have you tried to login as Adminstrator?
To do this with XP Pro just press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the login screen and you'll get a classic login box where you can enter 'Administrator' as username and either the password that was used at setup or leave it blank if no password was set.
If you can login as Administrator then it would appear that your user account is corrupt so create a new account and start from there.

ThickMick 11:32 25 Jul 2007

Hello Eric

Tried that and reverts back to login

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?