Computer locks up but the mouse still moves

spud10 12:08 26 Jan 2007

I'm having this problem with my Dell Dimension 8300 pc the computer locks up but I can still move the mouse but when I double click on any shortcuts to open programs the pc does not respond.
I have check to see what applications are running with the device manger but it shows that the system is idle.
I have a Nvida Geforce 6200 graphics card installed instead of the ATI card that was shipped with the pc.
Is the problem related to the graphic card.
Any ideas what could be causing the problem.

anskyber 12:16 26 Jan 2007

It is possible it is graphics card related. Have you tried updating the card drivers?

Z1100 12:26 26 Jan 2007

If you can get control in start mode use the 'msconfig' command from [start-run] and edit that to stop every program that is not standard for the PC. Like spyware, ad-ware and other programs not required to boot the PC.

Restart in normal mode and see what you get. If it works ok then turn on one program at a time until it fails again.

That will ID the 'leaky' program if it is leaking or the faulty startup program locking the memory down.

Hanx!
K.

spud10 12:55 26 Jan 2007

Thanks fo the advice I updated the driver for the card to the latest version from the Nvidia site on Sunday last.
I have up to date Antivirus and spyware programs running and they have not shown up any problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone