Computer keeps restarting again and again

big_ginge 21:40 20 Oct 2006

.. This started two nights ago.. my pc was sitting idle and then made a funny noise and shut down then tried to restart but almost immediately shut down then restarted and so-on.... on off on off on off... until i pulled the plug.

I have tried a virus scan but i haven't been able to complete it as it keeps restarting. i hae taken the side panel off as it maybe overheating .. or it could be a PSU short circuit... any ideas on how to a) find out what it is and b) fix it.

Pleeeeeeeaaaaasssee help me

big_ginge

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 20 Oct 2006

How far does it get before it restarts?

If restarting after a couple of seconds then I expct the PSU is dying, voltage drops as CD / DVD / HDDs attempt to power up.

Pull the power connectors to these devices and see if it boots to an error message on screen.

big_ginge 21:52 20 Oct 2006

Its about 1 second before it tries to restart... what i have done is pull the power lead out and then leave it for a minute as if i try to put it straight back in the it either carries on or absolutely nothing happens...

If it is the PSU how easy is it to get another one and install it... I have a HP Media Centre M1190 (if that helps)

Halmer 21:57 20 Oct 2006

My Computer right click

Properties

Advanced

Start up and recovery settings

untick System Failure - Automatic Restart

Might cure the symptoms but not the cause.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:01 20 Oct 2006

PSU TEST
click here
click here

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

woodchip 22:06 20 Oct 2006

As above remove the power plug from all drives other than the main Hard Drive. This will free power. then see if it will power up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?