Computer Keeps Freezing!!

time.traveller 13:51 30 Jan 2010

I'm having problems with my computer!! Not sure what is causing it. It keeps freezing up then the screen goes blank and it won't unfreeze until I shake the mouse about. I'm working on XP and this is a 5 year old computer. Have done a virus check, used Crap Cleaner and still doing it. Hope its nothing too serious as I can't afford another computer yet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 30 Jan 2010

In control panel - power options - set to "always on". see if that stops the screen going blank.

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

birdface 14:05 30 Jan 2010

Have you gave it a good clean out recently.if not maybe time to do so.
maybe try Downloading Malwarebytes [free.]Updating and then run it.
See if it finds any problems.

Graphicool1 14:08 30 Jan 2010

Does the problem only occur when the PC is idle?

Graphicool1 14:12 30 Jan 2010

My reason for asking the above question, is because I don't use screensavers. But when my PC is idle for two or three minutes the screen goes black and only clears when I move the mouse.

time.traveller 14:23 30 Jan 2010

The computer isn't idle at all when it does this. It usually happens when I first switch it on. It loads ok but then the screen goes blank, not in standby as the on button stays white. It turns orange when it goes into standby. Sometimes it freezes up when I'm working on the computer and won't work again until I minimize the page and move the mouse around a bit. Have already virus checked it. That was the first thing I did.

birdface 22:19 31 Jan 2010

[I'm working on the computer and won't work again until I minimize the page ]
Is it only your browser that is freezing.
What are you using If I/Explorer what version.
You have already checked for virus's [using what ]

time.traveller 20:19 01 Feb 2010

I used AVG to check for virus's and using IE8

birdface 21:04 01 Feb 2010

Download the free version of this.
click here

Update and run it.AVG will not stop everything.

And maybe try.Tools.Internet Options.Advanced and press reset.That resets I/Explorer to its original state.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017