Computer just died reconnecting hdd

Bill8 17:46 08 Mar 2014

There was a problem with my seasonic 650 psu, rma'd it and just got a new one sent returned to me. I connected up the motherboard and CPU first before switching on and the PSU switched on fine no issues. Then connected the dvd, still no problem, the dvd worked and ejected a disc without issue.

I then connected the hdd before powering on and the cpu fan and psu spun for a second before switching off second/third attempt and not even a spin unless i power off the psu. Now even if i don't connect the hdd the psu/cpu fan spins for a second or doesn't turn on at all.

Whats happened, clearly something happened to the HDD when the psu i rma'd went faulty but has it just wrecked my new psu...

Can i make a claim cos if the PSU wasn't faulty to begin with it wouldn't of messed up the hdd.

By the way i did all this without a graphic card fitted (still awaiting a new one)

rdave13 18:11 08 Mar 2014

Could be the motherboard gone. Any signs or smells of burning? Look closely at capacitors for any signs of burning damage.

Bill8 19:01 08 Mar 2014

Everything worked fine until i connected the HDD to the PSU.

I connected a component one at a time to find out if there were any further issues. There was no beeps but im sure the hdd has to be connected for this. Only when the HDD was connected everything stopped.

I don't know what was wrong with the old PSU only that when testing the PSU with a multimeter most of the rails were below voltage to non existent. If there was nothing wrong with the rma'd PSU seasonic would not have sent a brand new one.

To my knowledge (novice) if the motherboard was busted how could the cpu/fan/dvd and psu be working

bumpkin 19:22 08 Mar 2014

It may not sound relevant but have you got a damaged usb port.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:34 08 Mar 2014

There was no beeps but im sure the hdd has to be connected for this.

No it will work OK without a HDD.

when testing the PSU with a multimeter most of the rails were below voltage to non existent

A PSU needs to be under load to work correctly hence the need for PSU testers.

Have you tried reconnecting your old PSu and see what hapens?

Or connect the HDD in a caddy to another PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?