Computer just beeped. WHY?

Andsome 08:50 18 Feb 2003

Just browsing this site, when suddenly the computer beeped four times. Everything seems OK, so why on earth should it have done this?

Lú-tzé 08:55 18 Feb 2003

Was it an overheating warning? Check for temp in the bios and check what the warning is set at.

Andsome 09:00 18 Feb 2003

No. I have PC Doctor, and it is showing CPU-28, HDD-32, SYS-23. As I say everything seems absolutely fine. It just beeped four times and has not done it since. Running XP Home.

Lú-tzé 09:21 18 Feb 2003

No other ideas then except somewhere in the back of my mind there is a thought that I read of this before somewhere or other.

Djohn 09:40 18 Feb 2003

Found this on the beep code web site, doesn't say if this is at startup or while running!

A MEMORY FAILURE IN THE 1ST 64KBOF MEMORY, OR TIMER 1 IS NOT FUNCTIONING.

jazzypop 10:25 18 Feb 2003

Which motherboard?

Andsome 10:49 18 Feb 2003

Intel Pentium4 2.4GHz. Motherboard ABIT BD7-11. Memory still showing as 512DDR. No apparent problems, everything running OK. I am just puzzled. Must go out now, I will look again tonight. Thanks all.

jazzypop 11:54 18 Feb 2003

Just to get rid of the obvious, is your keyboard clear / clean? Something resting on a key can produce beep sequences.

The other things to check are that your fans are working ok - if your BIOS is set to monitor the fan speed, this could be the cause of the beeps.

Also try removing and re-seating your graphics card.

The other options relate to failure to enter / recover from power-saving mode, but as you were surfing at the time (even though this site does get really slow at times), it is unlikely that this was the cause :)

« Ravin » 13:03 18 Feb 2003

i think jazzypop may have something with the keyboard bit!

my suggestion is some adverts have sound nowadays could it be that? ;o)

Djohn 13:43 18 Feb 2003

Andsome, jazzypop and « Ravin », could well be correct with that. If I remember correctly this is a new system, that you have only had for a few weeks now.

There is a combination of keys, that when touched at the same time will omit a beeping sound, can't remember offhand which ones though.

Andsome 08:27 19 Feb 2003

Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply. I have had NO BOTHER whatsoever with the computer, and everything is running fine. The machine has not been moved an inch since installation, so I very much doubt that anything is loose. Touching two keys at once on the keyboard does make sense, as I try to rush things, and can get clumsy. As a matter of interest the keyboard is part of a TRUST keyboard and mouse wireless set. I will close this posting now, I was just curious.

Incidently the computer so far has proved me to be 100% right in going to my local shop. I could not be more pleased.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?