Computer help forum: Backup/Cloud help. I want to store things on the cloud and delete from my pc

BrentWisener 19:18 14 Feb 2015

Hi Everyone,

I hope to get some clarification on this whole backup/cloud syncing thing. I am very confused as to how the dropbox/icloud/onedrive/ and other backup tools work.

Here is what I want to be able to do:

Goal: - I have 700 gb that I want to store somewhere as a backup in the cloud - and be able to delete from my local computer.

Questions: How should I go about doing this?

Should I select individual files to backup or store?

Some of the backup solutions say they will backup my entire hard drive (Carbonite, Crashdrive, etc.), but what happens when I delete it from my local machine? Does it delete it from these services as well?

Can someone please provide some guidance on how this process works?

Thanks

wee eddie 19:27 14 Feb 2015

The annual fee for storage of such a volume would probably buy you a 2TB External Drive every year or so.

Also the amount of time taken to Upload such a volume would be considerable.

robin_x 20:43 14 Feb 2015

For such a large amount, even if you pay for Cloud storage, you'd want a fast connection and Unlimited uploads and downloads and not exceed your ISPs Fair Use policy.

I'd agree that it is not really feasible yet and you'd be better with external USB HDDs.

If you want to know about the principle and desyncing, so you can delete from computer but not Cloud, see here

click here

Might be worth having a go for a few GBs or tens of GBs and see how you get on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 14 Feb 2015

Even if you go down the route of storing on cloaud and deleting form PC

where's your backup?

even the cloud is not infallible people have already found they ae unable to access their cloud accounts and therefor their stored data is lost.

wee eddie 21:55 14 Feb 2015

I use two External Drives.

One has a Mirror of the C Drive, which I replace every 4 months, or so.

On the other, I use Windows 7's Incremental Backup facility, once a week.

I also use Nero's Online Free 2GB, to run daily backups of my .pst file and my Work in Progress Folder.

john bunyan 08:27 29 Apr 2015

Spam . FE informed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?