Computer has stopped recognising Scanner

ianeon 13:40 09 Feb 2009

I run Windows Vista Home Premium and use a Canon Canoscan Lide 20 flatbead scannner.
My computer has stopped recognising the scanner !
Device Manager says everything is OK.
The drivers are uptodate and working
Scanners/cameras in the Control Panel show the scanner as installed properly.
Can anyone help please.
Thank you.
Ian

Graphicool1 13:49 09 Feb 2009

Have you tried System Restore back to when it did reconize the scanner?

PSF 13:54 09 Feb 2009

Have you tried using a different USB port that can work when some USB devices don't respond.

ianeon 15:38 09 Feb 2009

Graphicool 1 - thank you for that thought - but that might cause me more problems than I have now.
PSF - thank you for that idea, but sadly that didn't work

Sea Urchin 15:41 09 Feb 2009

You say the driver is up to date and working, but I would suggest re-installing the driver from your disk would be a good idea to try.

ianeon 15:45 09 Feb 2009

Sea Urchin - Thank you - I did that and I checked the Canon website for the latest drivers. Still no joy

PSF 16:29 09 Feb 2009

Uninstall the scanner from the device manager and re-boot. The scanner should then be detected and installed.

ianeon 18:47 09 Feb 2009

PSF - I tried that, it didn't change anything - thank you for the thought

PSF 18:57 09 Feb 2009

Have you tried to update the 'USB Enhanced Host Controller' in the device manager. Right click it and choose update driver.

You can also try remove the USB in device manager and re-boot to re-install them.

ianeon 19:20 09 Feb 2009

PSF - Thank you again - sadly your suggestions didn't work.
Later this week I shall try attaching the scanner to another computer and find out what is at fault, the comp or the scanner.

ianeon 20:42 11 Feb 2009

Well I attached my scanner and cable to another computer running Vista Home Premium.
It downloaded the drivers and the scanner worked correctly - so now I know that the problem is with my computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?