Computer has just stopped working.

Barnacarry 10:08 10 Apr 2009

Background - Spybot confirmed that I had the Drsnsrch.com Hijack virus so I deleted it but it kept coming back time after time and then the computer started freezing, with colourful wavey lines. I got fed up and decided to reinstall XP. Xp installed and I went to put graphics drivers in and it froze again only this time it wouldn't restart. There are no Beeps, I used to get one, and monitor says 'no input Signal'. I checked monitor on this comp. and it's ok. I checked all the leads were connected, inside and out, and I then disconnected all hardware and left 1Gb memory in, but still no luck. (I even polished the battery). Would I be right in thinking that my Motherboard has packed up after two years?

baldydave 10:22 10 Apr 2009

Hi,
the basics have you checked fuse in the plug/have you power at the power supply unit(psu)?
Have you got a spare psu you can try?
Are you getting any lights on the motherboard /front of pc? are there any fans turning?

baldydave 10:24 10 Apr 2009

Sorry just re read your post- do you have onboard graphics AND a plug in graphics card?

Barnacarry 10:34 10 Apr 2009

baldydave - I have power to the comp, all fans working and light comes on at front.
I have onboard graphics and I have just fitted a new graphics card. I tried monitor in both but got the same result.
New graphics card - ASUS Extreme AX300SE 128MB DDR

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:35 10 Apr 2009

FAns running? any signs of life from HDDs? leds lit?

baldydave 10:43 10 Apr 2009

What motherboard have you got?
model no: and rev No:

Jim_F 10:43 10 Apr 2009

If the fans don't work then I'd check the PSU and power connections as well as these sometimes manage to ease themselves partially off the board.

If the fans are running then I'd double check the processor heatsink but then suspect the bios got corrupted so isolate the computer from the power and do a bios reset - I have had to do this twice on one board.

Its possible the board has failed but do try it out of the case before writing it off as its easy to disturb cabling, connectors and trapped wires when unplugging components.

Good luck.

JimF

Barnacarry 10:45 10 Apr 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - When I push the button to switch on, the red light comes on but, as the fans start up the red light goes out.

Barnacarry 10:51 10 Apr 2009

baldydave - The motherboard is Winfast 6150K8MA Socket 939CPU.

Jim_F - How do I do a bios reset?

baldydave 10:56 10 Apr 2009

I would say its a problem with graphics card,is it new/is it full pushed home into the pci express slot.
When you insert graphics card the bios automatically takes this as the card to be used therefore you get no output from onboard vga.if you REMOVE NEW card and put monitor cable back in onboard socket you should get a signal.
This does not solve the problem with new card.Can you try another card or try this cd in another pc.
The red light comes on then goes out is alright if your hd is not fully connected.

baldydave 10:59 10 Apr 2009

sorry cd should read card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017