computer go slow

stevier 15:42 29 Nov 2003

My computer is about 4 years old and has been fine until recently. In the last few weeks it has been running very slowly (programmes take 4 or 5 times longer than usual to open. If I run AVG virus check it used to take about 20 mins to run a full scan it now takes 2+ hours. I uninstalled AVG and tried another virus checker which also took 2 hours. I have run Scan disk and defrag and there are no problems. If I check the Resources on system its runing at about 83% with 128 RAM. I have noticed that when loading Windows 98 it seems to load the some system files twice (the set containing Setblaster, keyb etc) I also had trouble a couple of times on boot up saying the boot file was damaged and to use a system disk. Pressing Restart got the computer booted up OK. Any suggestions, at first I thought it was the HD but I'm not so sure. Motherboard is an ATX IR1 with an Athlon 450.

Diodorus Siculus 16:35 29 Nov 2003

Go to start, run and type

sfc

which will run the system file checker. You may need the win98 CD. This will check what files may have changed since installation.

wee eddie 22:04 29 Nov 2003

Added new software?

Downloaded any upgrades?

Bought any new peripherals?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?