Computer gets fed up & shuts down & web page prob

scotted 13:18 09 Feb 2003

Hello everyone,

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with the following problem.

I am running Windows 98 and have been experiencing a problem where the system shuts down by itself.It does not matter what I am doing as it could occur whilst just using the computer or surfing the web.

I have recently starting using btopenworld as my new isp but this problem was happening before this was installed. I do not know if the system is overheating and then shutting down or if their is some kind of virus.

2nd problem is that when on a web page that requires me to use a login password I cannot login in because it advises me that the login box cannot be displayed but the rest of the page is ok.These sites are usually secure sites...can anyone please help to resolve these issues

Thanks in advance

Scott

Totally-braindead 13:44 09 Feb 2003

Regarding the second problem, do you have any firewall software installed. The issues you mention sound like they could be caused by the way a firewall is configured.
Re the first problem, when you say it shuts down by itself does it shutdown, ie goto the windows is shutting down screen or does the computer just switch off and restart?

Denlyn 14:05 09 Feb 2003

I play bridge on line with click here .co,uk I AM HAVING A PROBLEM,wHEN I HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR ABOUT 30 MINS.the system goes in to suspension,and slows down,until i am unable to contiue.Can anybody please help
regards
Denlyn

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?