Computer freezing when trying to transfer pictures

Technophobe1975 10:03 14 Sep 2010

Hi, I'm trying to transfer some photos from a Fuji A860 camera to my PC using the USB cable. For some reason every programme I try to use to transfer the pictures does not work, my computer just freezes completely and I can't use either the mouse or the keyboard. So far I've tried using the software that came with the camera, windows photo gallery, picasa 3 - each time it imports maybe 10 or 12 photos and then just freezes. I have nearly 200 photos on the card and I really need to transfer them! I'd be grateful for any suggestions

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 14 Sep 2010

Have you tried plugging the card directly into the PC and not via the camera?

Technophobe1975 11:30 14 Sep 2010

Hi Fruit Bat, yes have tried that but it won't work at all that way. Am currently in the process of transferring the pictures to internal memory and then onto another memory card but since I can only transfer 12 at a time it's taking ages!

kristain 11:45 14 Sep 2010

Following are the possible reasons of computer freezes:

1. Virus attack

2. Low memory according to operating system

3. Huge amount of temporary files

4. Hardware problem

5. Software problem

6. Driver Problems

Check all the above and fix it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:57 14 Sep 2010

Make and model of PC and operating system?

NewestRoyWidd1 13:12 14 Sep 2010

According to the Fuji owners forum,this seems to be a fairly common problem,the only solution for camera software glitches is to use a card reader to transfer images.
I have a fuji S1900 and very recently transferred 500+ images and some videos without any problem at all using a card reader straight into my pc.And most of the people in the fuji forum recommend that you un-install the camera software from your pc.

click here is the link to the fuji homepage

hssutton 17:13 14 Sep 2010

With the card plugged directly into the computer go to "My Computer" right click on the drive associated with your cardreader and select Explore/Open. Can you see your photo files there? If so drag them to folder on your desktop. Then use such as Picasa to view the photos.

shellship 18:39 14 Sep 2010

I gave up using camera software years ago and now use a small USB SD card reader which enables me to do just as hssutton describes without any problem.

Technophobe1975 09:49 15 Sep 2010

Thanks for all your replies. I eventually managed to transfer them all very slowly from one memory card to another and then onto the PC - it took ages but at least I have my photos now!

NewestRoyWidd1 that is very interesting, I will definitely take a look at the Fuji forums and will look into getting a card reader :)

NewestRoyWidd1 15:43 15 Sep 2010

Pleased I could help,if you join the Fuji forum I'm on there as nighthawk999

NRW1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?