computer freezing problems

gav223 07:09 17 Jun 2008

Hi, about a year ago I bought a new laptop as the second hand one I already had was causing me problems and I was fed up of taking it to be fixed. However I have now started having problems with this new one. Over the last few days it has been freezing and not letting me shut down the system. Therefore I have had to just turn it off completely. I must admit that in the past I have just switched off the system without shutting it down properly, it seems to take ages to shut down the normal way. Now when I start it up it only works now and again and most of the time it either asks me if I want to connect normaly or in safe mode or goes into some sort of windows cleaning and just keeps restarting. I have run AVG, Spybot, Adaware, I have also checked the Hd and defragged. I don't have any anti virus on as I was told by a friend to just install commodo firewall and that will be enough. I don't know much about PCs and would appreciate any help given.
Many thanks.

birdface 07:27 17 Jun 2008

Anti-Virus does what it says.Have you got C Cleaner on your computer ,if so I would start with that.Try running your security programs in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts]

chub_tor 09:17 17 Jun 2008

If you have run AVG then you do have anti virus 'cos that's what it stands for Anti Virus Grisoft. You can get CCleaner from click here run the registry cleaner.

You are reaping the rewards of not shutting down properly, that's probably why you are getting the freezing. If Windows doesn't close down all its operating files correctly when you switch off it can't open them up again when it boots up.

Remember the old adage "More haste, less Speed", literally true in this case. If you are having slow shutdown you might like to look at this trouble shooter click here

birdface 09:27 17 Jun 2008

AVG.It could be Anti-Spyware.Gav when you had your Laptop about a year ago did it come with Norton preinstalled.Or any Security programs preinstalled.

Les28 10:27 17 Jun 2008

You don't mention your operating system, is it XP or Vista.

It's not a bad idea to run windows scandisc error checker after having to switch a computer off at the wall. Have you ever run scandisc ?

click here

Is there anything in Event Viewer that might give a clue as to what's happening at shutdown? Type eventvwr in the Run box and have a look at the Application and System records.

Whether user profile hive cleanup service would help for XP, but have a look at your event viewer first and do a scandisc.

click here

The restarting error checking sounds like the dirty bit may be set.

click here

User-1229748 12:08 17 Jun 2008

I'm sorry about the problems you're having but i'm glad you came to the forum with it as it does show what will happen when computers are not shut down properly.I hope you find a solution to your problem.

gav223 20:00 18 Jun 2008

Thanks guy's for all the advice and suggestions. I was going through what was suggested one by one, but the laptop seemed to get worse. I'm now on a friends laptop as my laptop does not even start up at all now.
I took it to a repair shop for some more advice, he said that from listening to the hard drive it could be 50 50 as to wether it's a hard drive problem or software problem. He said he would clear the laptop and reinstall windows, if it then works ok it would have been a software issue. If it didn't it would be the hard drive and I would then have to buy a new one. He wants £68 for the hard drive and £58 to reinstall windows.
I just wanted to know if reinstalling windows was something I could do myself.
If possible I would like to try and keep as much stuff as possible and save it from being removed.
I would also like some advice on stopping this from happening in the future. I don't think turning the power off without it shutting down properly has caused all the problem as this happened on my last laptop and I didn't once switch it off early.
If possible I would like to try and get this done ASAP as I have to give this laptop back quickly.
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 18 Jun 2008

money for old rope its easy enough to do you need a XP CD and the serial number which should be on the sticker on the base of the laptop.

Clean install windows XP
click here
click here
click here
click here

Les28 20:47 18 Jun 2008

You didn't mention what make of laptop it is? Don't know what recovery options you may have yourself. Did you have the option to make recovery discs when you got the laptop? Have you got an XP installation disc? If not could you borrow one ? Maybe you could download a boot distro something like Knoppix and perhaps boot the laptop into Knoppix and salvage some of your data from XP, can you still get into the bios OK and set the boot order to CD rom first if you had a Knoppix CD version, which may or may not work depending on the state of your hard drive but worth a chance trying maybe.

click here

gav223 20:51 18 Jun 2008

The laptop is an aser aspire 5920 and the os is windows vista.
Thanks for your help guy's.
Can you please talk me through the steps of what I need to do.
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:04 18 Jun 2008

you need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.
Windows Installation Disk
NOTE

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the following set of recovery options

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017