Computer Freezing online

ened 14:51 13 Aug 2006

Since I started this morning the machine has been freezing whilst online.

Interestingly the taskbar icon has indicated activity.

Being suspicious I immediately switched off.

I tried using Firefox instead of IE but the problem persisted.

Half an hour ago I installed Zonealarm and it appears to be running okay but prior to installation it ran a spyware check and came up with a large list.

I have been running Spybot regularly and this reports nothing amiss.

Is there anyway I can remove this spyware which Zonelabs detected without purchasing their product?

ACOLYTE 15:06 13 Aug 2006

I have no idea as i dont use ZA,i find it strange that ZA found a "Large List" of spyware that your other scaners missed,maybe try these free ones first:

click here

click here

click here

see if these flag anything unusual.

ened 15:32 13 Aug 2006

I am running your first link as I write.

Earlier I tried to use Trend Micro but the machine froze.

I have already scanned with Adaware.

I probably phrased the question poorly.

I was really wondering if I should be worried or whether Zonelabs was just trying to frighten me into a purchase?

Before I have put all my trust in Spybot

ACOLYTE 17:11 13 Aug 2006

It may just be that ZA defines threats differently to other programs,some may not report an item as a threat where as ZA does.

I too use Spybot and it is a good program but i find it doesn't always catch every item this is why i use different apps to augment Spybot and double check if you like the findings,i find it works very well and is well worth doing.

I would rather have dedicated spyware programs to find spyware, and a firewall be a firewall,when you start mixing the pot as ZA has then all sorts of problems can arrise.

Thats just my opinion i know a lot of users swear by ZA,but its not my cup of tea,so if it suits you stick with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?