Computer Freezing!! Help Please!!

Mary_S 18:33 22 Jan 2006

Dear all,

For the past few days I am experiencing a very frustraing problem, which seems to be getting worse. My computer randomly freezes from anything between 2-3 seconds upto couple of minutes. I believe it may be an internet explorer problem. Sometimes some pages may work but in these cases the windows taskbar doesnt and i have to use alt_tab to switch windows. Problem seems to be getting worse with these freezes happenin every other minute.
If anyone can give me some tips i would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Mary

PC Bilbo 18:45 22 Jan 2006

Are you just surfing when this happens or are you also multi-tasking other programmes?

Can you also please give some details of your computer inc Hard drive size, how much memory and operating system.

Mary_S 18:49 22 Jan 2006

Hey,

To answer youre questions, I would be usually both surfin the net and multi tasking proagrammes. However, my problem also occurs @ times when i may have just a couple of web browers open and nothing else.

Hard Drive;
C Drive: 40 GB , D DRIVE: 160 GB
Proccessor: AMD ATHLON 2800+
Memory Ram: 1GB

Thanks!!

PC Bilbo 19:25 22 Jan 2006

Assuming you have tried all the good housekeeping things like defag, cleaning out your temporary internet clutter etc, and running up to date anti-spyware you could try a repair of internet explorer.

Assuming you use XP and I.E.6 try this
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 22 Jan 2006

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Mary_S 20:18 22 Jan 2006

Hey,

thanks for all the suggestions. Ive had som outisde advice and ive made some changes in the windows start up settings which hopefully will do the trick. If that doesnt i will try some of ure suggestions.

Thanks for the help

Mary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?