computer freezing up

RD9 14:04 04 Mar 2009

I am a rank beginner as far as the technical side of computers is concerned. Am having problems with my computer freezing up. Have Windows Vista. I have downloaded the trial version of Registry Mechanic which says my machine has 167 problems and that its health is low. I need the full version of the program before it will repair the faults. Does anyone know if the full version is any good before I spend £29.99 on it. Any advice would be very welcome, please.

VoG II 14:23 04 Mar 2009

Registry Mechanic is good but why not try this freebie click here

Stuartli 14:39 04 Mar 2009

Or Comodo's Registry (System) Cleaner (freeware), which is not too aggressive..:-)

click here

Stuartli 14:41 04 Mar 2009

As the "167 problems" detailed may just be a ruse to get you to buy that product, you should also check that your system is not overheating.

This can also cause a system to lock up. Make sure that the fans are all working correctly and that they are not being affected by dust.

RD9 14:52 04 Mar 2009

Thanks for the advice. Tried to download and run your freebie but got message 'RegScrubVistaXP-v1.6[1].exe is not a valid Win32 application'

Have I missed something?

RD9 15:20 04 Mar 2009

Have successfully downloaded Comodo Registry Cleaner. It showed up over 300 errors, but only cleaned up 180. I'll let you know if it has solved the problem. The machine doesn't appear to be overheating, but will give it a good clean out. Thanks for the tips.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?