computer "freezing"

rdave13 00:17 05 Aug 2005

Had problems with the comp freezing at random times. So looked for advice here and was very impressed. So I stopped system restore and ran various anti vir..mal,,and spy..wares.Re set sys. restore and things worked well for a couple of days.

Froze again so I opened the unit up,gave it a good cleanout,checked the ram cards connections, graphics and all other connections I could find.

Everything looked sound.So I monitored the temps but all seemed good.

Didn't want to start playing around with the registry so paid for reg fix. It found problems and "fixed" them.

Fine for a while but then my comp froze.

To cut a long..long story short I found out the problem when I bought some cheap external speakers! As my house is open plan my comp is half way between kitchen and lounge.Power source is from a double socket;one side powers my multi socket extension lead for comp and accessories and the other side for a blooming fridge!!

I suppose I should have twigged sooner that sometimes when the fridge switched on or off it would have affected my machine.
Through my new speakers a loud click was heard and then the world stood still!
Needles to say that since I have changed power point the problem has dissappeared.
Funny that it didn't happen every time the fridges' switch was activated?
Anyone had similar problem?

Forum Editor 00:30 05 Aug 2005

I'll move this to Helproom.

rdave13 00:34 05 Aug 2005

thanks

DieSse 00:41 05 Aug 2005

Switch (electrical) noises are not an uncommon source of glitches in computers. Fridges and flourescent lights are common culprts.

It's a sign of a less than perfect power supply often - the noise spike shouldn't really get through the PSU - but does in some cases. You can fit a spike supressor power strip, or an uninterruptable power supply, both of which contain circuits to filter out such noise spikes.

rdave13 00:50 05 Aug 2005

DieSse for the good advice and shall follow it through. Funnily enough my tinny cheap speakers also used to pick up "noise" as if someone was starting a call on the C.B.

That's when they were illegal and the calls came loudly through the "stereogram"!

Shows my age:)

DieSse 00:56 05 Aug 2005

At least you didn't call it a gramaphone - had one of those when I was young!

rdave13 01:02 05 Aug 2005

replaced gramaphone with the "newfangled" stereogram....but it was high tec..:0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?