Computer freezes on startup when mouse attached.

JellyBelly 20:47 14 Nov 2004

When my Acer laptop starts up with a Logitech optical mouse attached via USB2,it suddenly freezes and will not continue untill i un plug the mouse.If i turn on the the computer without the mouse connected and then attach the mouse all will be ok.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TomJerry 20:53 14 Nov 2004

just a guess

disable "boot from usb device"

enable "legency usb support"

BillEmm 22:00 14 Nov 2004

This may be a power problem.

Try it with the laptop connected to the AC mains.

Your mouse is a bus powered device, ie. it gets its power from the USB contoller/hub. These controllers power up in stages, when the computer is first switched on, and there could be a delay in getting power to the mouse if your batteries are not in peak condition and fully charged.

The point of highest battery drain is on powerup and if the load is such that the 5 volt line drops below its threshold then the mouse will not be recognised and thus...anything can ensue.

Just a thought.

Bill

BigNiko 22:14 14 Nov 2004

I have a Samsung laptop with USB2 ports. If a Jessops compact flash card reader is plugged in at boot up, it is not recognised. I have to unplug/plug back in again for it to be seen. If it is connected via a powered hub, on, at boot up there is about an even chance that the boot will hang, until I unplug when the boot will continue. Even then the result is very soggy and unstable, so I wind up rebooting anyway. A speedtouch 330 ADSL modem, supposedly a power hog of about 500ma, connected directly is no problem, but when via the powered hub I have to formally disconnect from the net or the laptop wont shutdown, until the moden is unplugged, when the shutdown will finish. Isn't ADSL supposed to be "permanently on". I have read on other forums of USB TV cards needing to be unplugged/plugged before they will work. I'm using WinXP Home. What is going on?
I will have a look in the Bios, though "enabling legacy" sounds like USB1 to me.
Nik

BillEmm 12:44 15 Nov 2004

As I have already mentioned: it is desirable that laptops are connected to the AC mains when using bus powered devices – especially if one of the devices is a USB ADSL modem.

A 330 Speedtouch should be drawing about 350 mA max at 5 VDC from a port that can only supply 500mA max – given that the power supply is able to cope.

Hubs are a variable. While you have USB 2 controllers I think you will find that a recommended (see below) USB 1.1 hub will work better for the modem. It will ensure that the modem is recognised at bootup and provide the excessive power it requires to operate.

USB 2 hubs, due to their power supply design, tend to delay power to the devices until the computer powers up. This is not early enough for some devices which need to be powered on before computer bootup.

Some card readers, key disks and external HDDs prefer to be connected directly from a USB port.

Two of the best hubs for supporting USB ADSL modems are:

Belkin USB 1.1 4 port F5U101
Lindy USB 1.1 4 port Smart Hub Pro 32889

The Belkins are generally available while the Lindy can be obtained from Amazon.co.uk and direct from the manufacturer at Lindy.com/UK.
The Lindy is ideal for use with Laptops due to its compactness.

Please note that I do not have any connection with either of these Companies.

I am sure that there are other hubs that will equally do the job, but I also know that there are many that do not.

Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?