Computer freezes and GPU fans run at full speed

Remi Dumais 00:55 19 Apr 2017

I built myself a custom PC in August of last year. It has been going great ever since, no problems at all, until i recently installed a graphics card. I don't do any gaming, only some photo editing in Photoshop and graphics in Illustrator, so I decided to buy an EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC. I run a Samsung 4K monitor and sometimes, a second display (Dell S2715H at 1080p). Before installing the graphics card, I was running on Intel Integrated Graphics, on the Dell monitor only (@1080p), without any freezing.

The problem is when my computer suddenly freezes, the mouse and keyboard are non-responsive and sometimes, the graphics card fan suddenly starts running at full speed. The only way to fix the problem is to hard reset (shutdown the computer) by holding down the power button. Sometimes, it happens after using the computer for a while, sometimes it happens right after booting up.

I've checked the CPU and GPU temperatures when this happens and everything seems normal. I've also checked all the drivers, and they are all up to date. I tried running my computer with the PC case open (side cover removed) to see if the problem is related to airflow and temperature, but it still freezes up.

If anyone has any idea of what might be causing this, I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.

Here are my PC specs :

Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Motherboard Intel Core i5-6500 CPU (3.2 GHz) AMD Radeon R3 240 GB SSD WD 500 GB Laptop Hard Drive (as second HDD) Crucial Memory 16GB RAM (2x8GB Sticks) EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC 4GB Graphics Card

Running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro

Archonar 08:58 19 Apr 2017

Try completely uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics drivers, long shot but it might work.

Also if you remove the GPU does the issue go away? If so then I would suggest that it might be a faulty GPU, maybe return it for a replacement (hopefully it's still within warranty) and see if a replacement card works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?