Computer freezes up for a few seconds during gaming and watching movies

KieranWalsh 22:21 15 May 2015

Okay so basically my computer will freeze for anywhere between 2 and 15 seconds whilst playing games or watching movies. When it happens my mouse and keyboard are still fully responsive, so my mouse cursor can still be moved around but if i click anything nothing happens until it unfreezes. After reading about a few similar problems I've checked through my Event Viewer and I haven't found any errors or warnings during the same time as the freezes. Got a feeling it could be my HDD but i honestly have no clue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Model System Product Name System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0501, 28/09/2012 SMBIOS Version 2.7 Windows Directory C:\Windows System Directory C:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2 Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514" Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB Total Physical Memory 7.95 GB Available Physical Memory 5.63 GB Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB Available Virtual Memory 13.1 GB Page File Space 7.95 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Devil Fish 23:49 15 May 2015

check what programs you have running in background antivirus anti malware game launch clients ,steam uplay etc activity from these could degrade your experience from time to time

KieranWalsh 00:06 16 May 2015

It's definitely not background programs, I've ran games with minimal background stuff running and still get it. The freezes aren't constant, they seem random

chub_tor 12:03 16 May 2015

Games and video are highly dependent on your graphics card. I don't see it mentioned in your summary. What do you have?

madanforever4u 12:31 16 May 2015

I think your c drive is full. uninstall heavy space taking unwanted programs or u can instal the games in other drives like D,F which memory you have large space.

KieranWalsh 13:04 16 May 2015

My C drive has 1.5 TB of space left, so it's not that.

And I'm using a Nvidia Geforce 760 TI, it's not the best but with my rig it shouldn't be causing these freezes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:13 16 May 2015

Try turning off auto updating and indexing services.

kyletric 02:59 22 Jul 2015

This is exactly the same issue I'm having. Any resolution?

Frost_WD 15:04 22 Jul 2015

Hi kyletric,

As suggested in this thread see what's in running in the background and make sure you do not have any malware on your system. Another idea that is already here is to check you HDD. For that I recommend using the manufacturers diagnostics tool as it knows the drives firmware best, but you can find plenty of different programs to test your drive with online. You can post the SMART data here after doing the extended test. Another thing you might consider is updating all your drivers (OS and BIOS too). Also, make sure you have at least 10-15% of free space on your HDD. Have a look at the temperatures of your components and see if you are running close to 100% on any component in resource manager.

Keep me posted,

Frost_WD

kyletric 19:15 20 Aug 2015

Thanks for the reply Frost_WD and sorry for the delay in my response. I checked my HDD and it came back clean, updated all my drivers (including BIOS and OS). I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and did a clean install just incase there was some sort of malware or defective software and I still have the same issue. I noticed that my CPU usage spikes when the freeze happens by checking the Resource Manager, but I can't tell what's causing the spike. Is there some way to export past time-phased data from Resource Manager to paste here? Alternatively, is there anything else you would advise me to do to check my CPU, perhaps?

Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?