Computer Freezes.

skell 16:53 21 Feb 2005

Hello:

Thank you for taking the time reading my question for help. My computer tends to freeze whenever there is a good amount of CPU power required. This can be during any game, or perhaps when I'm running my favorite chess engine. The computer will freeze commpletely, casuing me to reboot.

Potentially Useful Information:

Motherboard: Jetway V266B
Chipset: KT266A
AMD Athlon 2100+
1024 MB RAM
80 GIG Harddrive
128 MB GeForce 5200FX

Front Side Bus setting: 133 MHz

Processor has heatsink with a fan, mounted through clips.

System Temperature = 77 F
CPU Temperature = 104 F

Voltages:

Vcore = 1.77v
Vcc 3.3 = 3.34v
+5v = 4.96v
+12v = 12.40v
-12v = -12.19
VBAT (V) = 3.26v
5 VSB = 5.09v

Things I have tried to fix this problem:

1.) Upgrading amount of RAM from 512 to 1024. This did nothing.

2.) Upgraded Video Card: the freezing seemed to have stopped for awhile after putting the card in, but freezing returned within a month.

3.) Attempted to cool the computer as much as possible by taking the side case-lid off and using a powerful mini-fan to blow more cool air into the computer. At first, this helped considerably, and I would rarely encounter any freezing at all. But as time has gone on, my system has seemed to freeze more and more.

4.) Kept dust out of computer by cleaning it weekly, since I knew the computer would be much more exposed to dust with the case open.

5.) Changing screen resolutions and setting my games to a "Low" setting. It doesn't seem to make a difference, high or low, it still freezes.

6.) Lowering the AGP Aperature. Makes no difference.

7.) Mounting Heatsink to the southbridge chip, in case it was overheating. Again, nothing.

8.) Replaced Power Supply in case of a power supply failure. Old supply was 300 W, new one is 480 W, but this made no impact.

I also format on a montly basis, and I am positive this is not a software problem. I've run out of ideas as what is causing this freezing.

Thanks so much,

Diodorus Siculus 16:56 21 Feb 2005

One option: take out the old memory chip and just use the newer one - the problem might be just a dodgy chip.

Having said that, am not so sure - given that cooling sorted it for a while, there may be something else to it.

skell 17:19 21 Feb 2005

Im going to do a memory test using the memtest86 programe . Will post back when done .

Diodorus Siculus 17:23 21 Feb 2005

A surer test would be to remove it altogether! :-)

citadel 18:31 21 Feb 2005

I have just had my computer in for repair due to freezing episodes, it turned out my motherboard needed a bios upgrade. It is a different motherboard from yours but it is something to think about.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:31 21 Feb 2005

Temps look a little high but running with cover off is a bad idea as the air dosnot flow correctly across the components.

Better to fit a couple of system fans, front sucking in back blowing out approx £3 each.

woodchip 19:36 21 Feb 2005

Overheating I would say first to check. Second check for latest Graphics Drivers

woodchip 19:37 21 Feb 2005

The heat is way too high

skell 16:16 22 Feb 2005

woodchip..
Temperature is in fahrenheit not celsius so imo its ok. Also tried different Graphic Drivers, didnt help.

Both RAM sticks are ok. Tried both on their own too and still the same.

Would a BIOS update help ? or maybe chipset drivers be a cause.

skell 14:31 24 Feb 2005

Im at a loss with this now, ive tried other forums but still no joy. I guess it must be the motherboard or proccessor possibly.

woodchip 19:43 24 Feb 2005

The PSU may be too small. also check for updated graphics drivers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?