Computer Freeze/Crash. Overheating? PLEASE help.

inrihab 17:21 23 Nov 2013

Hello guys,

I'm gonna get straight to the point. I have a custom rig I bought roughly a year ago that had been built for two weeks. It's still a pretty great build here are the specs (I'm not very great with technical stuff but I can get by):

Windows 7 Home Premium AMD FX-4170 Quad Core Processor RAM: AMD AE38G1339U2 16GB DDR3 PSU: Antec HCG-620M Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3 GPU: XFX Radeon Hd 7970 HDD: WDC WD10EARX-00N0YB0 ATA 1TB SSD: OCZ-AGILITY4 ATA 120GB

My computer freezes / crashes (I'm assuming it is overheating since the CPU goes to 65 degrees in BF4) during heavy processing when it did not used to. I have hard reset it hundreds of times. I DO have an unplugged case fan, but I do not know how to plug it into my PSU...it has molex connectors and I dont see those on my PSU. My friend used to have this fan connected but there is no place for the molex connectors inside and I dont see a proper adapter to get it to the small 4 pin "sysfan1" spot on the motherboard. Here are pics of my setup.

Also I will post pics of my system performance with HWMonitor during use of these programs.

All responses appreciated. Thanks!

I posted this on another site where you can see the pics: click here

inrihab 17:57 23 Nov 2013

so i know it's not the fan. I got it working but now I know it's some piece of hardware that got crappy over time. i just dont know if its my processor, psu, or ssd

bumpkin 21:05 23 Nov 2013

Memory maybe 65 is not that hot try this click here

inrihab 21:20 23 Nov 2013

caught my cpu at 80 degrees when i did another test before it crashed. that seems like a lot more? and i used that link but the installer installed something called quickengine and i can't even find where it installed to :S sorry for being a noob it's just weird

bumpkin 21:33 23 Nov 2013

Ok have you done the obvious things like cleaning the heatsink.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:34 23 Nov 2013

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

inrihab 21:41 23 Nov 2013

i haven't cleaned the heatsink in particular but i will try this next. i'm a noob so i need to figure out how to take it off. looks pretty easy i saw a lever.. all fans are nice and clean as of yesterday, and i am running memtest now. it's definitely not any drivers or firmware or anything like that. i am hoping it is not my PSU cause I need some more money to replace that, but let's see how memtest does

inrihab 21:47 23 Nov 2013

UPDATE: so my computer did the freeze when i was running memtest86. does that mean anything? i pulled one of my 8gb sticks out and am testing again just the one for now...

inrihab 21:53 23 Nov 2013

you guys, this is insane, i can't even get through memtest. does that mean i have found the culprit?

bumpkin 22:04 23 Nov 2013

Have you cleaned the heatsink or not.

inrihab 01:08 24 Nov 2013

so i cleaned the heat sink. it was disgusting. no wonder it couldnt breathe. HUGE issue though. my display wasnt working after, i felt some click as i was fiddling with the cpu fan at first. thinking i damaged some pins, i pulled the cpu fan + processor out but all the pins looks fine. so now i am putting it back in, with a clean heat sink hoping that it works, but I cant get the mounting brackets back into the mother board. the screws are too skinny for the holes and i dont understand how they were locked in so well before. please help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone