Computer far far too slow - please help

nowipowi 10:23 26 Mar 2008

Hi

For a few weeks now my computer has been driving me absolutely crazy. It is so slow, taking sometimes up to an hour to get into one website.

I've looked at the advice given in the helproom and have cleared everything I possibly can, e.g photos from my C Drive, and placed them on disks. I've run scandisk, defrag, clean sweep, Reg Scrub.

This has all been since Virgin Media have taken over from NTL, so I've even got their Broadband XL now as opposed to the M we were on.

Is something wrong with any thing else? I'm at my wits end as I have a business to run on EBay, and it takes such a long time to get anything done.

Thanks

RobCharles1981 10:37 26 Mar 2008

A Little "Search Forum" feature for this issue would solve your problem its been answered on a Daily Basies.

Have you done any housekeeping?

What Virus and Antispyware software do you have on your computer at the moment??

birdface 12:25 26 Mar 2008

Try Control Panel.Network Connections and right click local area connection and press repair.See if it comes up with a DNS Problem.Try this speedtest.click here it will let you know if you are getting the correct download speed.Switch your modem off for a minute.Then switch it back on and leave for 2 minutes before you use it.If using IE7 try turning your AD-Ons off and see if it runs any quicker.

birdface 12:32 26 Mar 2008

Try this little optimizer.click here I tried it about 3 weeks ago and found that my pages were opening twice as Quick.Also I would recommend trying Winaso.Its free but only repairs 10 items at a time.but you can run it as often as you like.It also has a registry defrag on it as well.Your computer should run quicker after using it.Next.Would be a Firewall problem the ones that cause the most problems are Norton+Zone Alarm.I don't know if you have any of those installed.click here Routers I dont know anything about them.Are you using one.

nowipowi 13:14 26 Mar 2008

Hi RobTheOrganGuru - as you will have read in my subject information, I have already searched the forum and tried everything.............................. "I've looked at the advice given in the helproom and have cleared everything I possibly can, e.g photos from my C Drive, and placed them on disks. I've run scandisk, defrag, clean sweep, Reg Scrub".

buteman

I tried Control Panel.Network Connections, and pressed repair and this is the message I got...

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following actions cannot be completed - clearing the DNS cache.
For assistance contact the person who manages your network.

Thanks for your help.

[email protected] 13:21 26 Mar 2008

If the reset of your router suggested by buteman doesnt work,the problem lies with the isp.Although i dont use virgin i am on cable and when getting the dns problem 99% of the time its at the cable provider/Isp end.Give them a call.

johnnyrocker 14:43 26 Mar 2008

what os and specs have you?

johnny

birdface 15:31 26 Mar 2008

You want to go into command prompt and type. ipconfig /flushdns make sure there is a little gap between ipconfig and the forward slash.once that is done it should tell you that DNS has been flushed.

birdface 15:50 26 Mar 2008

Should have added that you may have to reboot your computer for it to work.

birdface 16:03 27 Mar 2008

Any luck yet.Or is it still the same.

RobCharles1981 16:12 27 Mar 2008

Did you say in your first thread at top you done any Virus or Spyware scans??

If so what protection do you have??

Please tell us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?