Computer Expert Need To Answer Problem

///A M G 19:03 10 Mar 2004

I am having some problems after a range of events. About two days ago my control panel was configured incorrectly by a Microsoft Power Toy (Teak UI). I was advised by someone to enable me to get my setting backs I would need to reinstall my operating system as an ‘upgrade’ in the installation options. I did this and everything went back to normal, however I noticed my computer was slower then it used to be before the reinstallation. When I log into my account it used to take about 2 seconds and for the programs which appear in the bottom right hand corner to load about 3 seconds. After the reinstallation, I went to log into my account and noticed that it was taking about 10 to 20 seconds to load, and once loaded another 20 to 30 seconds to load the other programs in the bottom right hand corner. This is extremely disappointing as I paid a lot of money to get this type of performance from my computer and it did until the reinstallation of the operating system.
I then done that latest Windows updates but this had no affect what so ever
Below is my specification of my computer just in case you need to work out if certain settings such as virtual memory are incorrect:
CPU: Intel P4 2.8GHz
RAM: 512 DDR
HDD: 120GB
OS: Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1

Thank You and I hope to your response regarding getting my computer back to its optimal performance.

Smiler 19:06 10 Mar 2004

Hve you tried restoring your system to a time before you changed the configuration of control panel. You did make a restore point didn't you?

///A M G 19:08 10 Mar 2004

The problem with the control panel isnt an issue any more. I am now concerned about the slow login.

-Beb- 19:12 10 Mar 2004

The first thing to try is to update all of the drivers, especially the motherboard and graphics card. You can get these from the manufacturers websites.

Secondly I would not recommend an upgrade, but rather a full format of your hard drive and a clean installation of windows

///A M G 19:18 10 Mar 2004

My motherboard is very wierd as it just says 'Dell computer Corp' but for my graphics card i will update the driver now. Its a:

128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 TX w/TV-Out

I dont know if you can find one, but i am having trouble.

///A M G 19:20 10 Mar 2004

Looking at my properties for my graphics cards a lot of tabs have gone!

-Beb- 19:20 10 Mar 2004

click here This is the place to download your graphics card dirver from

Big Elf 19:22 10 Mar 2004

ATI drivers at click here

Big Elf 19:23 10 Mar 2004

Power drivers from click here

Sorry -Beb- didn't refresh before posting.

Smiler 19:23 10 Mar 2004

Go here click here and download the catylist display driver it covers all verions of the radeon cards

Smiler 19:24 10 Mar 2004

Same here Big Elf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone