computer doesnt see scanner

WebWiz 20:01 06 Aug 2003

My neighbour asked me to help. She had some kind of fault after which her scanner did not work. When I looked at it I found there was no scanner software being shown. She had not uninstalled it but anyway I loaded it all in apparently successfully but the scanner does not work. If I click on scanners in Control Panel it reports the device but says that it is unavailable.

Any ideas?

graham√ 20:12 06 Aug 2003

Open a program such as Irfanview or Picture it! that has an acquire facility. See if that will call up the scanner.

graham√ 20:19 06 Aug 2003

Just tried, you can do it in Word.

john-232317 20:57 06 Aug 2003

sometimes you need to switch on scanner before computer.

mammak 21:20 06 Aug 2003

WebWiz, just a small thought, it will do no harm to check it out, but when i loaded my first
scanner, i had somewhat the same problem, guess what the transit lock was on as i said it will do
no harm to check it out regard,s Mammak
ps. mines was situe on the base of the scanner

Chegs ® 22:50 06 Aug 2003

If her Scanner is an Hewlett Packard,its either the USB lead where it enters the scanner or she has altered the cfg on the puter.(I have an HP scanjet,and even with the latest driver from HP,it will ONLY work thru XP's Scanner and Camera Wizard,and once I have finished using it,I either unplug or disable in device manager,as it refuses to switch off while windows is running)When I used 98se,I chopped out IE,and had "Device not Found" errors whenever I tried to use the scanner although it was showing in Device Manager and had no problems.I would have bought a replacement when I upgraded to XP,only its one item of hardware I only use occasionally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie