computer does not recognize extended HDD

Lee12 00:26 01 Jan 2008

Hi, I have an external HDD connected to my PC through a USB. It showed up in (My Computer) as F drive along with (C), (D) and (E). I went into Disk Management and it showed as an extended partition.
For some reason or the other, I deleted it by mistake in Disk Management
Now all it shows in Disk Management besides the C drive is the amount of free space (74.52 GB); no drive letter.
Nor does it show no drive letter or drive when I open up (My Computer), just the C drive and both DVD- drives (D) & (E).
How can I get the BIOS to recognize the (F drive) and show the drive in (My Computer) and show the (F drive) letter in Disk Management?

johnnyrocker 00:28 01 Jan 2008

system restore?

johnny.

Lee12 00:45 01 Jan 2008

Tried that, will not work, I get a diolog box stating
(Changes made to drive F: after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from System Restore monitoring, or was turned off or removed)

UncleP 01:28 01 Jan 2008

It's not clear from your initial post just what you see on the Disk Management page for the external HD. If there is a separate entry for this disk on the right-hand side under the title 'Disk n' (n is an integer), followed by a list of diagnostic values eg 'Basic', 'NNN Gb', 'Online', then (I think) the solution is simple. Right-click in the area to the right of this title and list to bring up a menu; this should include an option to change the drive letter which also allows you to assign one if none exists.

It is possible that the HD may not be ready for this action. This will be indicated by different entries in the diagnostic list - post them here if this is the case.

BRYNIT 02:45 01 Jan 2008

It doesn't look good if you have deleted the partition.

From the Windows help files.

When you delete a hard disk partition or volume (the terms partition and volume are often used interchangeably), you create empty space that you can use to create new partitions.

Warning
All data on a partition will be lost when you delete it. Be sure to back up any files that you want to save to a different location before you continue.

If you click on Windows help and support and type in create a partition it should give you the information required.

Someone might be able to suggest a program that you could use to retrieve any lost files.

UncleP 22:16 01 Jan 2008

I've looked again at the likely effects of the deletion of your external HD, and concluded that the chance that my simple solution above will be successful is not high. It's not that it will do any harm, just that the statement in the last paragraph above is likely to apply. It would be helpful to have as much as possible of the diagnostic information provided on the Disk Management page for this disk.

When Windows deletes a file or a partition, it does not erase the relevant sectors on the HD, but modifies the FAT (file allocation table - or whatever they call it now) or the Partition Table respectively. The data itself is not actually lost until it is written over or a low-level format carried out. So the chance of recovery is improved by not allowing any program to write to the HD, and by not responding to the invitation to format it, which appears in the menu obtained by right-clicking in the RHS of the Disk n entry.

I suspect that one of the reasons that Windows is so pessimistic about the fate of the data in deleted partitions (apart from the need to encourage users to back it up, which is indeed good practice), is that it does not provide the utilities necessary to repair the FAT or Partition Table, even where minimum damage has occurred. However, an Internet search will reveal a good range of suitable programs, some of which are free, others you can download to see if your data is found before paying a moderate sum to enable its recovery. I can't comment on the first group, but have used Easeus Pro 3.0 successfully for data recovery on a couple of occasions, and Acronis Disk Director 10 for general partition management.

DieSse 22:25 01 Jan 2008

"How can I get the BIOS to recognize the (F drive) and show the drive in (My Computer) and show the (F drive) letter in Disk Management?"

The BIOS is not responsible for external USB drives.

You need to reactivate the external drive via the Drive Management software.

If you right click on the (now unused) external drive, you'll get a menu of things to do. These will allow you to reactivate the drive.

Any data you had on it is almost certainly lost - please ask again if there is anything on it you wish to recover. There is no way that a system restore will help with this - it's not designed to recover from this type of mistake/error.

Lee12 03:39 02 Jan 2008

Thanks everyone on your input to use the Disk Management software. I was abe to Recover the (F) hard disk partitions that I accidentally deleted.
I used Acronic Director Suite 9.0
Thanks
lee64

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?