computer does not communicate with new printer

DHMA 18:10 23 Apr 2009

I have a Dell computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2 80GHz with 2.79 GHz 512MB of RAM. I use Microsoft Windows XP (Pro) Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Microsoft Office 2003 and Windows Live OneCare. All theses have been updated and I have just upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 (very happy).

My old Dell (Lexmark)A920 printer packed in and I bought a new Lexmark X4650. I installed this successfully and the printer can produce a good test copy. I use a USB cable (not wireless) connection. My problem is that I cannot send any print messages or instruction from my computer to the printer, even using command prompt.

I uninstalled and re-installed hardware and software several times but still had the same problem. I trouble shot the problem and replaced drivers and followed various other instructions, all to no avail. All my system, programmes and hardware devices appear to be fine and I've done full spyware and virus scans.

I think that I have a problem with my print drive but it may be something else. Can anyone help me?

Kingfisher 18:17 23 Apr 2009

I have had problems with Lexmark printers in the past, I have found their U.K. helpline tech support to be very good.their number is 02073652496
Mon to Fri 9am to 5.30pm

ps they will ask you for model and serial number, hope they sort it for you
good luck

DHMA 18:26 23 Apr 2009

I will try them tomorrow. I think that the printer itself is fine but may be they are familiar with this type of communication problem.

chub_tor 18:36 23 Apr 2009

Have you looked in Control Panel Printers to check that the printer is actually installed and that it is selected as the Default Printer?

DHMA 19:06 23 Apr 2009

Yes I have and it is selected as the (only) printer and the "Default Printer" and it is showing as installed.

Halmer 21:13 23 Apr 2009

the USB port working OK?

Halmer 21:15 23 Apr 2009

because I lost all mine recently after installing SP3 (may have been coincidental) and first found out when my printer stopped printing.

DHMA 21:20 23 Apr 2009

ccording to all my diagnostic checks my ports and hubs are all working properly but, like you, I think that this a possible cause. What did you do to resolve your problems?

woodchip 22:12 23 Apr 2009

Cannot understand why you want to use command prompt to start printer working. What wrong with normal Icon at the top or Menu?

DHMA 22:19 23 Apr 2009

Of course I tried all the normal print options initially - I have been using computers and printers for many years. The trouble shooting facility provided by "Microsoft Help" suggests the command prompt as one of the override instructions for my particular problem but this too would not work.

Woolwell 22:47 23 Apr 2009

You may not be alone
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?