computer disk hardware config probs

allan4545 15:54 24 Jun 2006

I have recently installed a copy of windows xp pro , as the copy i first puchased was non genuine , after installin a new copy , i changed the 40 gig master to a 160 gig master ( also i have a 400 gig slave ide + 300 gig sata drive ) after a couple of days i rebooted , which i had done on previous occassions before , i got a message saying boot disk error , i put in xp boot disc into the dvd drive and attepted a clean install , it loaded the window files ,and i installed al drivers for the sata drive, after formatting it got to the stage where it re-boots and it detects all drives etc etc , then i get a message which reads " WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE OF A COMPUTER DISK HARDWARE CONFIG PROBLEM, COULD NOT READ FROM THE SELECTED BOOT DISK. CKECK BOOT PATH AND DISK HARDWARE. PLEASE CHECK WINDOWS DOCUMENTATION ABOUT HARDWARE DISK CONFIG AND YOUR HARDWARE REFERENCE MANUALS FOR ADDITIONAL INFOMATION " I have checked all ide cables are installed and connected correctly , master and slave configured and jumper pin settings are all correct on drives and optical drives Any help towards a solution would be greatly appreciated ..

howard63 17:42 24 Jun 2006

this suggests to me that your bios has not detected your main hard drive correctly. Look up its details and try setting the bios manually for it. A further thought I had problems with a new drive which I had set to master. In desperation I moved the jumper to cable select and all now works well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone