computer died???

silverdragon41 01:20 24 May 2008

I just started up my PC(xp) and it goes past the windows screen then its blank. then it says

"reboot and select prpper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

what can i do??? m a noob with this sort of thing

mrwoowoo 02:13 24 May 2008

Simple things to try first.
Unplug any usb devices(printer/scanner or memory sticks and wireless dongles) and check to see that there are no cd or dvd roms left in the drives.
If still the same,has your hard drive been making more noise than usual?,as your pc is failing to detect it.This could mean your hard drive has failed,as they don't last forever.

silverdragon41 12:11 24 May 2008

removed all the usb cables and the internet cable. nothing.
hard drive hasnt been making any unusual noises. the comp is...3-4 years old

Joe R 12:26 24 May 2008

silverdragon41,

boot into the bios, usually by pressing delete or F2 when booting. Select advanced bios settings, and then boot menu, and ensure it is set to boot from hard disk.

birdface 12:27 24 May 2008

Try in safe mode.[just keep tapping F8 as computer starts]If it works try last good configuration or a System Restore.

silverdragon41 13:03 24 May 2008

Joe R:
there is no boot menu in advanced tab. but there is a boot tab with Boot Device Priority in it. its says this:

1st boot device: floppy
2nd boot device: CD-ROM
3rd boot device: Hard Drive
4th boot device: Network

floppy group not installed
cd-rom group 3M-HP DVD Writer 6
HDD group not installed
Network group not installed

Buteman: i keep tapping F8 does nothing and i dont know howto system restore :s

at start screen it says:

esc: boot menu
F1: setup
F10: system recovery

mrwoowoo 16:01 24 May 2008

As joe R says

Try setting 1st boot device to hard drive
2nd boot device: CD-ROM
3rd boot device: Network
And disable the floppy

If you can't get into safe mode then as the computer is booting into Windows, turn off your computer with the power button. When the computer is turned on the next time Windows should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the Safe Mode screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:07 24 May 2008

looks like boot.ini or other boot files on HDD are corrupt try a repair.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

silverdragon41 13:25 25 May 2008

Fruit Bat:

i got as far as number 5. when there it has the following:

the following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

unknown disk (no disk in drive)

when i use the arrows to see if i can scroll down, it crashes tothe "blue screen of death"

silverdragon41 13:25 25 May 2008

Fruit Bat:

i got as far as number 5. when there it has the following:

the following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

when i use the arrows to see if i can scroll down, it crashes tothe "blue screen of death"

silverdragon41 13:38 25 May 2008

Mrwoowoo and Joe R:

i change the Bios too the order suggested. and saved it. restarted. same as besfore. restarted by pressing power button, same as before :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?