Computer Crashing And Freezing Constantly

cutupuss 20:57 22 Apr 2015

Thanks for viewing if you did,

This has been going on for about a year now and it's really getting on my nerves. Whenever I'm on youtube or playing a game my computer seems to freeze until

1. it either comes back itself
  2. I have to restart it

Which ever option it results in me loosing whatever I was on. Sometimes it goes to blue screen of death and sometimes when it freezes the audio cuts very fast like if I were watching a video of someone saying "chocolate" it would go "ccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooocccccccoooooollllthen audio repeat" It's driving me mad and I don't know if it's my BIOS but here is my specs:

**Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUS) BIOS: Default system BIOS Memory: 4096MB RAM Chip Type: NVIDIA GeForce8400GS DAC: Intergrated RAMDAC Total Memory: 1874 MB**

I would really appreciate some help thanks :)

wee eddie 21:12 22 Apr 2015

Have you had a look inside. The usual cause of the problem you describe is a build up of dust in the Cooling System.

To clean it out will cost you next to nothing if you can borrow one of those hairdryer's and a bristle paint brush, half inch will do.

If the inside is dusty, don't blow it out indoors

AroundAgain 21:22 22 Apr 2015

I had an on-going issue with random crashes /freezes. I took the side off and checked/removed some dust although not much there at all. However, keeping the side off, it did run much better, I have to say, so I concluded it was a cooling issue.

Since then, although running better, it would still crash at times but I felt the main (C:/) drive, an SSD, wasn't big enough. Since installing a larger SSD drive, the computer has not crashed since.

I rarely have audio on, so I can't comment on the sound as it crashed

So, maybe check for dust and clean up a bit, as wee eddie suggests, but also check your hard drive to be sure it has room to 'work' in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 22 Apr 2015

Freezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Frost_WD 13:06 23 Apr 2015

Hi cutupuss,

I would suggest cleaning your system from any dust build up and as you have it open – reseat all your components. Also, update all your drivers, run s stress test and post the results here. As Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested it could be a problem with your PSU – if can use a unit from another PC or borrow one you could test and see if the system crashes again. Just make sure that the PSU puts out enough power for your system. You can check how much you need with the various calculators found online. The malware idea is also something you should do. @AroundAgain it is recommended to have at least 10-15% of free space on any drive for it to function properly. As suggested you could use a brand specific diagnostic tool on your drive to check its health. Post the SMART data here once you have done the extended test. There are third party tools for that task too, however, the programs from the manufacturer yield the most accurate results as they know the firmware best. Also, you can test the drive with different cables and in a different port.

P.S. You can also take a look in Windows event viewer and see what application is running when the problems occur. Look in resource manager too – see if something is using 100% or close to it. Also, could you provide information about your systems temperatures and whether or not you get a BSOD ad if you do – what is the error code?

Keep me posted,

Frost_WD

cutupuss 16:58 23 Apr 2015

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm going to try the dust extraction (which I actually did a month ago and it worked) or leave it open, however I'm worried it will get damaged inside.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 23 Apr 2015

Did you check for a layer of fluff trapped between the heat sink and fan? This doesn't get blown or sucked out unless you "lift" the fan off the heat sink.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone