Computer Crashing During Boot Up

munki magik 17:27 11 Feb 2011

Hi,

Last night i was on my computer and it started to run very slowly as i began searching for a file. The Start bar at the bottom of the screen vanished as did all the programs on the desktop. I was able to use programs that were already open with the task manager. I turned the computer off and went to bed assuming it was nothing serious.

When i attempted to turn on the computer today i was given the Safe Mode Option Screen. Where you can choose from Start Windows Normally, Start safe mode (with or without networking) and Last Known Good Configuration.

When i choose start windows normally the computer restarts before the windows loading screen is reached. If i choose one of the other options the windows loading screen opens for a few seconds (and seems to be freezing) and then the blue screen pops up and the computer restarts.

As you can probably tell from my explination i dont know much about computers. I really hope that someone has a solution to this problem as i need my computer to do work due for Monday.

Thank you very much,
Jack.

ps - I am fairly sure this is some kind of virus but since i know nothing about them i have no idea what kind it could be.

munki magik 17:30 11 Feb 2011

Forgot to mention. The computer is running windows XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 11 Feb 2011

if not then beg steal or borrow one

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

munki magik 18:50 11 Feb 2011

Thanks for the quick and detailed responce.

I was just wondering if there was any other soloution as i dont know how i would get my hands on the xp disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?