COMPUTER CRASH AFTER MCAFEE INSTALL

ronroam 17:43 08 Oct 2005

After powering up for first time after MCAFEE virus protection downloaded from AOL, my computer crashes. I apply system restore and everything is OK but no MCAFEE programme.

Any ideas on how to prevent crash and install McAfee on my brand new Dell 5100?

Thanks in advance.

Diemmess 17:50 08 Oct 2005

I don't want to be flippant or slanderous, but humbly suggest you ignore Aol's offer of MacAfee and install (by downloading first) AVG.

It is free, works very well, automatic updates, and works fine with Aol though in the sign-on screen Aol pretends there is NO protection!!!

SANTOS7 18:00 08 Oct 2005

I don't think its a case of that i think its parity and maybe the fact that some progs do not work well together AVG is an extremely good alternative..

Diemmess 18:13 08 Oct 2005

MacThingummy is part of the current Aol offer, so they most likely made sure it will install.

I (being a Scrooge) do not see the point of installing something with eventual update costs, when I can have good cover with a one operater, home only - freebie.

ronroam 18:29 08 Oct 2005

Thanks for the AVG tip Diemmess. I've now installed it so have some protection.
McAfee from AOL was working on my old pc without problems before though, so there must be some sort of conflict with the new software that came with my Dimension 5100.

Diemmess 18:42 08 Oct 2005

If you are a paid-up disciple of McAfee then by all means persevere, but you will have to disable or clear AVG first.

ronroam 19:46 08 Oct 2005

Appreciate that I will have to disable AVG if I want to reinstall McAfee but at least I have some cover working at the moment with AVG.Thanks.

pipedream 19:47 08 Oct 2005

I had to uninstall McAfee from a friend's PC recently due to poblems and annoying pop ups trying to sell their firewall. Replaced it with AVG & it immediately found three worms McAfee had missed!

pipedream 19:48 08 Oct 2005

I meant problems

ronroam 19:57 08 Oct 2005

Good recommendation Pipedream.
I'll see how it goes through the trial period and decide if I should keep it. The only poblem (sorry) with it is that AOL does not recognise it and I get irritating messages. But I was forewarned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017