Computer crash

erins trinity 22:54 04 Sep 2006

Dear guru

I recently had PC repaired when it failed to turn on. Now returned to me with really noisy fan and new motherboard... but during use the computer suddenly turns itself off and back on again staright away.. this has happened after about 45-60 mins each time.. any ideas??

skidzy 23:06 04 Sep 2006

Sounds like overheating,check the fans are clear and working correctly.

Personally,i would send it straight back to the person who has supposed to have fixed the system.

erins trinity 23:09 04 Sep 2006

This may be the cause as fan had failed and been replaced about month before failed to turn on. temp is working at about 58 and seems constant.. how can i check without restarting...?

theDarkness 23:17 04 Sep 2006

what did they state what they found to be the problem with your pc in the very first place? my own pc started to reset on its own and i found out in the end that it was the power supply (low wattage around 120W cheap psu usually get with most high st stores), because i had added so many extras to the pc (dvd drive, extra hd etc) it was straining to keep up. did they return your pc with the same power supply you had before?

more likely, a hard drive overheating can also cause an occassional reset and you can damage/lose your files. try a program such as hddlife to check the temperature: click here
Well under 40C is preferred, with a health status 70%+.

I added an extra fan to the front of my case for cool air to blow in, with the standard case fan at the back blowing out. hd temp stays between 29-37C mark, depending on if in use. not the coolest, but beforehand it used to be rather close to the 50C mark!

Giggle n' Bits 23:20 04 Sep 2006

there should be usually 2 screws one higher other lower on the edge. Hold the screws as you unscrew them. Genlty slide back pulling the side panel firm but gentle. then look at fans mailny one which usually is located on the top inner back left. Look to see if a silver is in colour with a black fan over is sitting flat, you will have to look at funny angles but don't touch it for now then power up the machine watching this and checking to see where noise is comming from.

Think you will find the disturbance on the fan from a cold start only cos as soon as it warm up spinning then it will fade away.

It could be possible the fan if fitted on a AGP Graphics card or on a Motherboard.

erins trinity 23:31 04 Sep 2006

Darkness

They said the original fault was the power supply which they replaced... and they then replaced the motherboard and a fan... no idea why.. In fact he brought it back minus a fan and returned 3 weeks later to install fan.. said it was not that important??.. somehow not sure local thomspon directory is best place to get visit repairs..
Checked out hard drive link.. good stuff shows working fine - thanx matey

erins trinity 23:32 04 Sep 2006

Tubby T

will do... hope i don't find hamster on wheel in there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone