computer clock

fitcher 19:53 17 Jan 2003
  fitcher 19:53 17 Jan 2003

my clock is loosing time .is there any problems replacing the battery .like do i have a certain
limit of time to take the old one out and replace it. or is it a simple job to do .

Visio 20:01 17 Jan 2003

Best to replace the battery as soon as you take the old one out!

Dearersteak 20:04 17 Jan 2003

best thing to do, is to take a note of all the settings in the BIOS as when you remove the battery, they will be lost. Simply re entre then after you have replaced the battey, and everything should be fine.

How old is your computer out of interst?

Audeal 20:09 17 Jan 2003

All PC clocks lose or gain time. If it is only a few seconds or minutes a day then a program can update you clock each time you log onto the internet. Try this one called Socketwatch: click here

DieSse 21:50 17 Jan 2003

If it loses time when the system is switched off - then it's the battery (or a closely related harware problem).

If it loses time when it's switched on, then its' NOT the battery - it's a software problem - the clock is run in software when the system is running the OS.

woodchip 21:56 17 Jan 2003

As DieSse say's the windows clock gets the time from the cmos clock at startup, if you unplug your comp all the time it is more likely to run slow if the battery is low

wetterfugal 22:06 17 Jan 2003

click here and get this one, it synchronises your puter clock each time you connect and it puts a customisable [skins] clock face on your desktop. It will also chime on the hour.

It is free but for about £7 you can get the full version, I can't remember what else you get apart from 1/4 hour chimes, I just use the free version to keep my clock on time and the hourly chime is a constant reminder that I should be in bed.

Audeal 23:30 17 Jan 2003

wetterfugal: Thanks for that, but according to the chimes it is long past your bed time. Nighty night sleep tight.

kuhbler 00:10 18 Jan 2003

I got a little program called Atomic Clock that checks the time and changes your windows clock. Got it as my Win clock has started losing about 10 mins a day.

I can't remember where I found it off-hand, sry!

-pops- 06:54 18 Jan 2003

If your machine is losing time due to battery failure, it doesn't matter very much how long you take replacing it as your BIOS settings will be messed up anyway.

It is a very simple job to do.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone